• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

¿ Scripture Interpretation ?

Active
I have always found it interesting when one sentence will be interpreted many different ways when it was written to mean one thing. I'll use Mark 4:22 "For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light."

How do you interpret this one single scripture?

I feel he is saying that everything that I try to hide or have hidden will become known to all.

Loyal
I think it means we will be accountable for all things we do in front of God.

From a earthly point of view I could see it meaning all secrets will be known to all sooner or later, which is usually the case.

interesting topic for sure,

PS
by the way thanks to you MIndy the other day in the rain I brought my shopping cart back to the rack, which I had just recently trained myself to leave in the parking lot because it helps someone keep a job, now I am torn LOL

Loyal
I have always found it interesting when one sentence will be interpreted many different ways when it was written to mean one thing. I'll use Mark 4:22 "For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light."

How do you interpret this one single scripture?

I feel he is saying that everything that I try to hide or have hidden will become known to all.

Perhaps only one meaning at the time is needed, but the meaning each time may be different. As you read the Bible and pray and time goes by you will read the same verse and receive different meanings on different readings according to what God has for you at the time.

Lots of verses could probably generally explain what is happening with regard to secrets, but consider this one from the OT:

"Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound." Isaiah 30:26

Many meanings about many things in that verse and, no, I don't understand them all either, but consider when you read it the idea that the "moon" is the Old Testament and the "sun" is the New Testament. That may help you move forward toward Him.

Active
PS
by the way thanks to you MIndy the other day in the rain I brought my shopping cart back to the rack, which I had just recently trained myself to leave in the parking lot because it helps someone keep a job, now I am torn LOL

Ha! I don't see it as helping someone keep a job but more like making their job simpler so they can learn other tasks rather than just gathering carts during their shift. Here in Michigan it's frozen, snowing & very cold right now.To see them guys struggle to get a cart unstuck from a pile of snow isn't right to me. I always think "if that was me". I've been thanked numerous times for pushing my cart to the corral & that lets me know I'm doing it right. God bless YOU Dave M! You're doing it right!!!

Hi LK,

One thing I do when encountering a passage that interests me but cannot grasp well the meaning / application, I would use a concordance/chain reference Bible to search for parallel verses that would expound the meaning of the passage. That is what they call interpreting the Scripture through Scriptures, with the help of the Holy Spirit as our Greatest Teacher (John 14:6), He inscribes and quickens in our hearts the Word of God. Amen

@amadeus2 - Very well said.
@Dave M - Amen

Blessings to all.

Active
I agree with @amadeus2 but I also agree there is "one" meaning.
Like many things Jesus said there is one meaning with endless variations.
Where you are in your walk will determine which variation you see.
Does it bring judgement and fear or freedom and peace?
It is a symmetrical verse.
Love sees that God's love is a secret to many,hidden to those captive with fear and dark secrets.
Fear sees that it's secrets will someday be revealed when the light of God exposes the truth that God so loved the world he sent his son to reveal that his judgement in Jesus is "NOT GUILTY".