• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

William Shakespeare

William Shakespeare once wrote: 'Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds. It is an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken. Love alters not with time’s brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom.

They do not love that do not show their love.
The course of true love never did run smooth.

I'll follow you and make a heaven out of hell, and I'll die by your hand which I love so well.
Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs,
Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes,
Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears.
What is it else? A madness most discreet,
A choking gall and a preserving sweet.

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.
Love is a spirit of all compact of fire.
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
My bounty is as deep as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.

My heart is ever at your service
One half of me is yours, the other half yours-
Mine own, I would say; but if mine, then yours,
And so all yours!
Such is my love, to thee I so belong,
That for thy right myself will bear all wrong.
When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew.
No sooner met but they looked;
No sooner looked but they loved;
No sooner loved but they sighed;
No sooner signed but they asked one another the reason;
No sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy;
And in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs to marriage...

Elizabeth Barret : How doth I love thee:
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Last edited:
Good....yes good. Bit your choice of colour and font size in your thread is difficult to read

God Bless

Dear sister, good writing you shared with us here

but i found William Shakespeare's definition of LOVE contradicts with the biblical definition we have for LOVE.

abigya

Last edited:
Thank you for the thread but i dont seem to get anything....dont get the real message of the thread...am being realistic....Especially the second paragraph and last stanza, what do you/or the writter mean by 'Love is devil?' I agree with Abigya this contradicts with the word of God.

Secondly i agree with Stephen the font size and the colour makes it very difficult for us to read. Red is alarming. Hope you get what i mean. Thank you.

Nermeen, pls support your text with scriptures please. i ealier asked you what you meant by "Love is devil" pls just explain and support it with scripture.

You also mentioned above and i quote" I dont believe that anyone of us follow how the bible describes love, none of us have the ability to love like that..." Then if we dont have the ability to love like that, why did Jesus command(not asked) us to love Him and love one another? Jesus cannot tell us to love if He knew that we cannot do it. He tells you what you are well capable of doing.

Secondly, i think it's wrong to say or judge that none of us follow how the bible describes love, then why are we christians? We cannot afford to follow what the bible teaches PARTIALLY and neglect the other bit, no, if you are for the bible let it be so, there is no lukewarmness in this walk. And if there is a case where some dont follow or practise partially on love then thats when there are given a chance.We are not perfect but we are heading to perfection, We stumble but get up.

Am willing to be corrected and challenged if you feel so. Let the word of God dwell in us RICHLY by all means.:love:

Thank you for the above text, As a believer you must be willing to challenge and get challenged in this walk, The bible says iron sharpeneth iron.

Back to the text, Nemeen if you still believe that no one can love the way the bible says, let me inform you that we can if we want to, because God has allowes us to grasp ALL His knowledge about love. read this scripture carefully and i pray that God will help you on this, its Ephesians 3:16-19

" I pray that out of His glorious riches, to be strengthened with might through His spirit in the inner man, that christ may dwell in your heart through faith; that you, being ROOTED and GROUNDED in LOVE, may be able to comprehend with ALL the saints what is the WIDTH and LENGTH and DEPTH and HEIGHT, to KNOW the LOVE of christ which passes Knowledge; that you may be filled with ALL the fulness of God."

That means God wants us to experience and Express His love to that level. Paul is describing How deep, wide, long....God's love is and wants us to be rooted in Him thus, express this love by all means.

God Help us. Lets keep the candle burning.:lightbulb

Active
This is only a poem and an expression of how shakespare saw love in his eyes, he wasn't trying to be religious or politically correct, most of his work are plays and so forth. To really study this..( which I wont )..we will have to look at the time period, of when this was written,how did people speak, was there war, a failing economy ,struggles with caste system. All these factors play a part in someone's expressions.

The phrase love is a devil does not go with the bible's meaning of love.

But I can give you examples of this kind of love

..you read the news of Pedophiles having sex with kids and callin it love.
Ex husbands killing wives because they loved them so much that no man should ever touch them.

Love is a devil..is an oxymoron.
Its a contridiction, which I believe was the authors goal.

I'm humble to say I do fall short when it comes to love. I get angry, annoyed and I have to ask God to create in me a clean heart each day.

Love is patient,
love is kind.

It does not envy, it does not boast,
it is not proud

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil,
but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts,
always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

I am human, in a new body but temptation does not cease.

Last edited:
Active
Are you happy now..sister

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.Philippians 4:8

Last edited:
This is very beautifull ,thanks for sharing i love William Shakespere his words have moved me since i was a child.

God Bless and Much Love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bible Verses on Love - God’s Love For Us

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20

Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. - Deuteronomy 7:9

For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. . . - Psalm 37:28

I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. - Proverbs 8:17

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. – 1 John 4:9-11

Bible Verses on Love – Love for God

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16

We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. – 1 John 4:19-20

This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother. - 1 John 3:10

No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. - Matthew 6:24

So be very careful to love the LORD your God. - Joshua 23:11

I love you, O LORD, my strength. - Psalm 18:1

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' – Matthew 22:37-39

Bible Verses on Love – Love for One Another

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. - Proverbs 17:17

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . .And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. - excerpts from 1 Corinthians 13:4-13

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:12-13

'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. - Leviticus 19:18

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. – Proverbs 10:12