• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why do bad things constantly happen to me?

I'm not really sure where to post this, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Why is it that the more good I do and the more I obey God, the worse my life gets? I know it happens to everyone and that satan tries to discourage us, but in my case it's very severe, almost to the point where I feel like God is playing some kind of joke on me. I mean the more I try, the worse everything gets for me and if I'm involved in anything, it's garaunteed to fail. I suffer from severe depression and severe anxiety and panic attacks because of the nonstop barrage of bad things that happen to me. In the last 6 months I have lost all of my friends, failed at a business, and my fiancee left me for absolutely no reason and I am completely alone left to spend all of my time trapped inside of my messed up head with all of my bizarre thoughts and fears. It's like whenever God tells me to do something, I do it and then more bad things are piled on me and my depression and anxiety gets worse and worse. My prayers for God to heal me of these things has turned into pleading, my pleading has turned into begging, and it never gets better, only worse. It seems the more I pray, the worse I get. I've been dealing with this for 9 yearsand am at the point where it's hard to leave my house because I'm so depressed and am in constant panic mode. I can also feel this very dark, heavy, and evil vibe that radiates off of me. Why is God letting this happen to me and how can I make it go away?

Hi Brother Jeffness. welcomt to 'talkjesus' Sorry to read about your distress at this point in time.....and for a while you inform us.

Sadness even depression is a fact of life for many people, but as a follower of Jesus....not for you.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will
When the road you're taking seems all uphill
When the funds are low, and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, ......but don't you quit

Life is queer with its twists and turns
As every one of us sometimes learns
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won .....had he stuck it out
Don't give up though the pace seems slow
You may succeed with another blow

Success is failure turned inside out
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
And you never can tell how close you are
It may be near ......when it seems so far
So stick to the fight when your'e hardest hit
Its when things seem worse that you must not quit

Start giving Jesus some praise....thank him for your salvation. Find some praising people...... The bible exhorts us to "Rejoice in the LOrd....and again I say Rejoice"

In the O.T. the prophet told the people they had been sad......about the situations they faced for ......long enough.....He said to the people "The joy of the LOrd is your strength. He almost commanded them to REjoice

"Rejoice in the LOrd always" whatever situation we are in....AS we begin to give Jesus praise........the enemy has to flee

I'm not really sure where to post this, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Why is it that the more good I do and the more I obey God, the worse my life gets? I know it happens to everyone and that satan tries to discourage us, but in my case it's very severe, almost to the point where I feel like God is playing some kind of joke on me. I mean the more I try, the worse everything gets for me and if I'm involved in anything, it's garaunteed to fail. I suffer from severe depression and severe anxiety and panic attacks because of the nonstop barrage of bad things that happen to me. In the last 6 months I have lost all of my friends, failed at a business, and my fiancee left me for absolutely no reason and I am completely alone left to spend all of my time trapped inside of my messed up head with all of my bizarre thoughts and fears. It's like whenever God tells me to do something, I do it and then more bad things are piled on me and my depression and anxiety gets worse and worse. My prayers for God to heal me of these things has turned into pleading, my pleading has turned into begging, and it never gets better, only worse. It seems the more I pray, the worse I get. I've been dealing with this for 9 yearsand am at the point where it's hard to leave my house because I'm so depressed and am in constant panic mode. I can also feel this very dark, heavy, and evil vibe that radiates off of me. Why is God letting this happen to me and how can I make it go away?

hi there
I've read your post and I know what kind of pain you must feel , cos I suffer from depression as well , if you need someone to talk to , then please feel free to PM and I will help you when you need it . take care and know that your in my prays .

Hello Brother,

I am very sad to hear about that.
I remember from when I was a child, my Sunday School teacher was answering a question a friend of mine had asked. He said " Why do bad things happen to us, and good things happen to bad people?"
His answer was definite. I remember it very clearly: "Perhaps on earth you may feel people are overpowering you with wealth and power, and they may not be the nicest of people. But remember this: God will always be with you. God has a plan for all of us."

I hope this has helped you, and just remember, God is with you.

Dear Jeffness,
I have had difficult times, panic attacks, and depression but this does not mean God has abandoned me. (Even though it felt like it) He was always there. Just because we are Christians means nothing bad will happen to us. Sure Satan has no authority over us but he can still cause some fears, worries, etc. to come our way. But praise God, through Christ, Satan was defeated and God is in control. He, at times, uses or allows difficulties to refine us so that there is “more of Him and less of me” (John 3: 30) Beth Moore explains this way: "God allowed hardship and consequences to press against me from both sides until a decision had to be made and a part of me to die.”(Esther, pg 102)

I am doing a study on Esther by Beth Moore. I came across the following paragraph today that she wrote that I thought I would share with you... “ ...he (Satan) deduces what we ourselves are most convinced what would raze us. ...Our distrust of God tattles on us, telling our enemy exactly how to get to us. Many of us habitually rehearses, ‘If _____ ever happens, then I’ll just _____’. Our fears become like long, bony index fingers pointing at our vulnerabilities. Once Satan sees what we believe would be the end of us, then threatens and torments us with it.
Our natural human defence is to grovel before God and plead with Him not to let those things happen. Our conditional trust not only makes us an open target for enemy torment; it also positions us as negotiators and beggars before God instead of secure children who trust their lives to their faithful Father. Those times when our fears become reality we feel devastated. We think God is unfaithful, and Satan essentially gets want he wants – us to believe that life is over. Unless our belief system changes, for all practical earthly purposes, it is. After all, as a man thinks, so is he (Prov. 23:7) ..... The most critical breakthrough of faith you and I could ever experience is to let God bring us to a place where we trust Him – period. We don’t just trust Him to let us avoid what we fear most. We determine to trust Him no matter what, even if our worst nightmare befalls us. We have no greater victory and can render Satan no harsher blow.” (Esther, pg 107-108)

My dear friend learn to trust and walk with Him. Remember always that above all else God remains the same and He is always good. “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.... May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18; 23 & 24)

Best Wishes,
Snowrose

Reference ~ (Moore, Beth. Esther: it's tough being a women. Nasville, Tennesse: LifeWay Press, 2008.)

Last edited:

Did we go to school together? Trust me I know what you are talking about. Without giving details, I will cut to the quick.

Praise Him. When you feel your worst scream "You are a wise and Mighty God!" Thank Him, when everything makes you want to quit and lay down and die, "Thank you Lord for the opportunity to feel this depression and sorrow and loneliness".

It is the hardest thing to offer the sacrifice of praise when you feel the worst you ever do. Even when you feel as if you are in a dark windowless basement, when your words seem to bounce right back at you, praise the Lord. He inhabits the praises of His people. If you are not trying a medication for depression, go get some until the Lord heals you, but never stop praising Him, and thanking Him for everything good and bad.

There were several men of God in the bible who suffered depression, the key is to be thankful, regardless.

dont give up. if he is telling you to do something then bad stuff happens or even if he isnt telling you and bad stuff happens remember this first if you give up the enemies camp has nothing to offer but weeping and nashing of teeth and secondly all things work for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose. He has a plan. i know it dont seem like it at times. i am kinda in the same situation. its not easy being a christian. but only a relationship with Him will profit. all else is vanity. it will not satisfy as a drink of the living waters will. i think you are being tested. i think you are being grown. and i think he wants you to look more to him and not the bad stuff in your life or maybe even at your life. im going on limited info on your post. but it sounds real similar to my experiences.

love you man. dont quit. dont give up.

hi. i know what you are going through. if you read the post i just made you will see what i mean (just look for my user name).

i wish i had the answers. if you ever find the answers let me know.

i am bipolar so i can definitely sympathize. i get so depressed it is awful. my "up moods" don't last and seems i am constantly so depressed. i am not on any meds, so that doesn't help.

feel free to email me or pm me. it always helps to have a friend to talk to. even if i am do i still can come up with words of encouragement for a friend.

Maybe between all of us we can come up with the answers seek.

hello

HAve some medication like antidepressants, if your having this for a long time. If you have an opportunity you should travel somewhere, say Asia, Africa with certain organizations like compassion or whatever, see life of people who dont have credit cards, should help.

Staff Member
Praise Him

Veracity and Stephen have it right! Praise Him, Praise Him, and Praise Him some more! Not half-heartily, with all your heart. Praise Him, till the dogs start praising Him along with you! Praise Him till your neighbors start thinking "he's gone over edge"! Then Praise Him some more! Praise Him with tears running down your face! Praise Him on your knees, Praise Him all the time! You are loved Jeffness! Can’t you tell? Look at the posts! Your Brothers and Sisters in Christ Love you and want to help! You’re not alone and will never be! Because you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior!!!!!
Some verses I pray that can help! Love you Bro <><
He's with you. Don't be discouraged!
Joshua 1:9
He's greater then you adversary!
1 John 4:4
He'll never leave you! Don't fear!
Deuteronomy 31:6
He cares for you! Don't be anxious!
1 Peter 5:6, 7
Remember! This assurance!
Romans 8:38, 39

Veracity and Stephen have it right! Praise Him, Praise Him, and Praise Him some more! Not half-heartily, with all your heart. Praise Him, till the dogs start praising Him along with you! Praise Him till your neighbors start thinking "he's gone over edge"! Then Praise Him some more! Praise Him with tears running down your face! Praise Him on your knees, Praise Him all the time! You are loved Jeffness! Can’t you tell? Look at the posts! Your Brothers and Sisters in Christ Love you and want to help! You’re not alone and will never be! Because you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior!!!!!
Some verses I pray that can help! Love you Bro <><
He's with you. Don't be discouraged!
Joshua 1:9
He's greater then you adversary!
1 John 4:4
He'll never leave you! Don't fear!
Deuteronomy 31:6
He cares for you! Don't be anxious!
1 Peter 5:6, 7
Remember! This assurance!
Romans 8:38, 39

Yes. Amen! War in your worship. Allow your worship to bring You into the throne room...and stay there. There's something very powerful about being in a continual state of worship. And Satan cannot bear the praises of God's people. Give thanks in all things.

It's hard to understand why things happen but we have to keep trusting in God and realize that there is a reason for it.

hi Jeffness..i know this thread is quite a long time ago, but I just happen to read it now. I had goosebumps while I was reading it coz it seems like I was the one who wrote it. All that you've mentioned are happening to me now. Yes I often pray and read the bible, but the more bad things happened. I came to the point of giving up, of deciding not to pray anymore because nothing really happened though. I would sometimes feel bad knowing some people who did a lot of bad things, yet their blessings poured. I questioned God. I've come to realize that I failed to count the "small" blessings and favors I got. They say, everything happens for a reason. And most of the time, we do not understand why things happened. I am still in a dilemma right now. In fact, I'll be asking our brothers and sisters here to please do pray for me, that I'll be able to get out of this "financial burdens" that me and my family are currently facing. I will continue to trust in the Lord, because I know He'll direct my steps. I may feel weak at times, but I always pray to Him to strengthen me and my faith more.

Let's not lose hope. I know this is easier said than done. But it will not help if we will continue to dwell on the "not so good things" that happened to us. I will pray for you. Let's pray for each other. I hope that all is well with you now.

Active
While this is an old thread, more than a few people have pondered the same dilemna: why me? There exists a number of examples of people who had it really good, and then life suddenly went south. Joseph, Daniel, Job, Adam & Eve, and even many Apostles spent time in prison. We aren't above problems which can inflict anyone at any time. If you're alive, then you're a target. Our lives are not just about us: our lives are about how we choose to interact with others and deal with situations.

I agree that problems can be a bit overwhelming. Sometimes we are tested, sometimes it's just stuff happens. Do you still have a mind and body which functions? Are you on this side of the grass? At the end of the day, all we can really do is thank God that he got us through another day to see another. Rather than dwell on what you lost, be glad for what you still have left.

This is a great thread, because it applies to every Christian as certain times of their lives. For me, it applies pretty much for the last 24 years (that's how long I've lived for Jesus), but particularly it applies to the last 2 years in the strongest way, and the last 5 in a little less stronger way. God allowed me to grow through some painful situations. Some of the situations, brought upon myself through poor decisions. Some were not my decision at all. God is fair and just and merciful. When I gave Him my life, He did not promise me a rose garden. Yet...suddenly some roses are blooming here and there in my life :) God is good. All the time. We are not. But we serve a risen Savior who loved us enough to die for us! That's love, and that's worth living for.

Praise God

Active
Jeff, you are certainly not alone. I myself have been through over two decades of pain and suffering, both from abusive environments and failure in every part of my life.

There are many reasons why people, especially Christians suffer. But what is important is to know how God sees suffering.

Why did God send His own Son Jesus to suffer in order to save us from sin? Because He loves us, but He loves His Son Jesus as well, and it is through letting Him suffer that He makes known His love for His Son.

How is that possible? It is written that God will discipline every son He loves, and scourges those whom He receives. It is also written that Jesus learned obedience through the things He suffered.

Suffering is the only means God uses to produce the kind of righteous character He desires to see in His children, even His Son Jesus was not exempt from this kind of discipline. It is in fact the most efficient and effective tool to produce good fruits in any person’s life, provided the person submit himself or herself to the will of God to use suffering to work out what is good in their lives.

This is how God views suffering, because He cares about your character more than your current comfort or success. This life is but temporal for Christians because we hope in a new world without sin or suffering. He is holy and if you are not holy, you can never be in His presence. That is why He will use suffering to make you holy so that you can be with Him forever. He is conforming you to the image of Christ, so since Christ suffered, you will walk in His path of suffering too.

Do you want to be in His presence forever? If yes, accept His good work in you through suffering like Jesus did.