1. Featured Thread

Don't Stop on Six // It Will Happen

The finish line. The goal. What are you working toward? Obstacles and trials will come and go, but one thing can always remain constant on your journey.

Keep your eyes on the prize because good things happen when you Don’t Stop.

View This Discussion

Where do we go when we die?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by scofieldII, Apr 15, 2008.

?

Where does the soul go after death?

1. Heaven, is a faithful christian and if not then Hell

60.0%
  2. It stays in earth, wondering about in its realm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It immdediately goes before God for judgement

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Share This Page

1. scofieldII

scofieldII New Member

When a christian dies or otherwise, where do you think the spirit goes?

2. joshuamclean

joshuamclean Member

I think when non-christian people die, their soul fall into a deep sleep until the day Jesus comes again - Then they will be subjected to judgement. When we sleep, times flies doesn't it? I think many dead are just sleeping.. remember when Jesus raised that girl? He said, "The girl isn't dead; she's only asleep".

I'm not sure what will happen to faithful Christians, someone told me that they'll go straight to heaven when they die. Perhaps we'll be sleeping just like the others. I need to read the bible more :p

3. BibleBeliever7

BibleBeliever7 New Member

Our body stays here and our soul goes directly to Heaven or Hell. Heaven, if the Blood of Jesus Christ is applied and if not, a burning everlasting Hell. Our bodies will be raised up at the rapture and then we get a brand new body in Heaven.

4. redfox

redfox New Member

I said we go immediately to judgement. But let me expand.

When we are alive we are within the constraints of time. Time is something God created and God is not controlled by time. He is past present and future. When we die we are no longer of this world and so we are no longer within time. Many years might pass after our death before the ultimate judgement day on the earth, but to us (as we 'sleep', it is immediate because they no longer have a concept of 'waiting' for judgement day because there is no time in which to wait! incidently, our physical bodies go nowhere! I am talking about our souls.

I have a really good analogy that I tell my fellow Maths undergrads at Uni but I fear it would fall on death ears (forgive the pun) because it involves some complicated maths but PM me if ur curious :wink:...

God Bless y'all

Love Jack

5. joshuamclean

joshuamclean Member

True true..

6. Richie

Richie New Member

When a person dies, if they are saved, their soul goes to paradise, but not heaven. Paradise is the place of rest for the believers. That is why Jesus said to the thief on the cross, "You will be with me in paradise."

Luke 23:43: And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

When Jesus comes again, our bodies will be resurrected and the believers will be taken away by Jesus in to heaven, but the unbelievers will be left behind here on earth, where the anti-Christ will rule for 7 years.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17:

Verse 16: For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Verse 17: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

When a person who is not saved dies, he/she will go to hell forever and there is no escape.

This is all I want to share with you.

God bless you.

7. stephen

stephen Moderator
    Staff Member

The great man Paul said "Absent from the body present with the Lord" I do not expect to be hanging around...........where-ever.

When I die Hallelujah bye and bye.......I will be in his presence.

8. pjnewman

pjnewman New Member

Of the 3 choices, Heaven was pretty close (to my beliefs). Paradise would have been my choice had it been available. Check 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 where Paul writes of Paradise and the third heaven.

9. cerebus

cerebus New Member

There is a careful distinction between paradise and heaven. Paradise seems to be in the earth somehow - and it has two sections: one for the saved and one for the unsaved. So directly speaking that's where you would go after death. Then at the coming of Christ all the dead will be resurrected to the judgment seat of God to receive judgment for their living.

10. ephesians4_23

ephesians4_23 New Member

I put that we go to judgment.

Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Judgment scares us, even as true believers, but think about this: Everyone will be judged. Did you know that you have the option of being judged now, today, instead of on Judgment Day? Confess your sins to God, receive His forgiveness, and He will blot out your sins, to be remembered no more. He chooses to forget them. He will put them as far from Him as the east is from the west. They are not held against you anymore.

Hebrews 10:17 Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."

If you chose to wait for Judgment Day, you stand on your own, and we cannot be righteous on our own.
    Believers will still be judged. Everyone will be judged on that day. However, rather than being judged for our sins, we are judged for our good works. We receive our crowns, so to speak. Don't get puffed up though, about receiving crowns... we will put them at the feet of Jesus anyway.

11. Chad

Chad Administrator
    Staff Member

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9)

(quotes from gotquestions.org)

In the Old Testament, the word translated “hell” is Sheol; in the New Testament, it’s Hades (meaning “unseen”) and Gehenna (“the Valley of Hinnom”). Sheol is also translated as “pit” and “grave.” Both Sheol and Hades refer to a temporary abode of the dead before judgment (Psalm 9:17; Revelation 1:18). Gehenna refers to an eternal state of punishment for the wicked dead (Mark 9:43).

The word “paradise” is used as a synonym for heaven (2 Corinthians 12:4; Revelation 2:7). When Jesus was dying on the cross and one of the thieves being crucified with him asked Him for mercy, Jesus replied, “"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43). Jesus knew that His death was imminent and that He would soon be in heaven with His Father. Therefore, Jesus used “paradise” as a synonym for heaven.

12. AngelFive

AngelFive New Member

This is a toughy for me so I really could not make a choice because I believe that time is an issue with Heaven and Hell. It's hard to put into words..I think when we sin here now, it is multiplied and given back to us, we feel more pain than what we put out, and vice versa,if we are good and kind and loving to everyone even in prayer and in thought. I think all those things will be multiplied and sent back to us. I believe that we have to pay for the things we do here now before we cross over. Jesus died for my sins, so that I would not have to die in sin, but I am still responsible and must suffer the consequences of my actions here and now. I believe we cross over into PURE LOVE on our physical death..we return to the GARDEN of EDEN. I believe all is reflective so that we learn the lessons God put us here to learn. He certainly has the POWER to make one reflect on the life they have lived before the physical death no matter how sinful it was.

Those are my thoughts so far.

#12 AngelFive, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  13. SpiritLedEd

SpiritLedEd Active Member

Chad:

I have to question the idea that the word "paradise" in Lk 23:43 is a synonym for heaven because after the resurrection, Jesus, when He appeared to Mary Magdalene outside the tomb, said to her "Do not hold on to Me, for I have not yet returned to the Father." (Jn 20:17a)

If He had gone to heaven immediately after dying, it seems unlikely that He would have said that to her.The study notes for Lk 23:43 in my Bible say that "paradise" refers to a place of bliss and rest between death and resurrection.

SLE

14. cubssoxfan92

cubssoxfan92 New Member

well to be honest we go to heaven when we die depending if you are good or not otherwise if you are not good then it is hell.

15. Chad

Chad Administrator
    Staff Member

That's not what the Bible says.

Acts 15:11
    But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Romans 10:9
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Ephesians 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

16. Property Of God

Property Of God New Member

Dead Christians sense time?

I've a question, Do dead Christians feel or sense time as it pass by? Will they keep waiting million of years in paradise until the second coming of Jesus? Or are they all asleep?
    I really don't know the answer to ths question but it keeps wandering my mind.

God Bless!

17. Br. Bear

Br. Bear Moderator
    Staff Member

Christian Life is Eternal

Ephesians 1:13-14​
    In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
    Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory. ​

Dear sister Nermeen,

May I attempt to answer your questions?

To begin with, if we can eliminate one, that is...
    Will they keep waiting million of years in paradise until the second coming of Jesus?
    No.. millions of years does not come into it, so such a question would best be re-worded to perhaps hundreds or thousands..... Will they keep waiting hundreds or thousands of years in paradise until the second coming of Jesus?

For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
    Now He which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
    Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.​

2Corinthians 1:20-22​

Before we proceed, let us determine one thing. Our Hope. We have been sealed with Hope. How long will this hope keep us? I venture to suggest that one who has his or her hope in Jesus would not know how to count a second or a millenium... for the hope in us is eternal in wieght and measure, given to us by Him who has no beginning nor end, and it is this hope that shines forth the joy which is our life, hid with Him for all eternity.
    So, to contemplate such times is foreign to a child of God, just as it is foreign to God to contemplate being bound by the limits of time.

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
    Romans 15:13

In answering your queston, let me ask you this simple question....
    when you fall asleep, are you aware of the time as it passes as you sleep? Now since you are referring to Christians, sister, let us imagine in such an equation that the sleep I ask about is pleasant and sweet in rest in the safety of our Lord, knowing He is not one to slumber nor sleep, but ever keeps watch over us every moment of our sleeping and waking time.

I know that I am not aware of time as I sleep.... sometimes for sure, I am acutely aware that it wasn't much time that I did sleep when I wake shortly after! But during sleep, we have no thought of watching a clock, far less a calendar. One could say it is as a twinkling of the eye... we enter sleep one moment so infinitely small as to not even be aware of it's passing... and then we wake in similar fashion and begin the next, new day.

We have been made new too, and we await the redemption and as we wait in patience which is His, we can rest even now in the promise of our lives being no longer bound to this mortal frame... of body nor time... and if we could and would just live in this glorious Salvation each moment of each day, we would most certainly see much more of the victory and so little of corruption... our troubles would fade as if never there... our longing would depart and be replaced with praise and rejoicing as we pass our sojourning here in hope.

Please read and study this Scripture from 1 Corinthians 15:42-57...

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
    43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
    44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
    48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
    49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
    52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
    57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ

Bless you Nermeen ....><>

Br. Bear

18. Property Of God

Property Of God New Member

Thank you for your help brother, it enlighted me

God bless you!

19. dajzhavu

dajzhavu New Member

I used to think that the righteous would go straight to heaven after death until I ran across this in my studies.

Paul longed “to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 5:8. The question is, would this transition take place at the moment of death, or at the Second Coming?
    Paul reinforced and clarified that this was his understanding 1 Thessalonians 4:16 “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.

It is clear that the Bible writers all understood that the state of the dead is like being asleep only to be awakened seemingly the moment after they closed their eyes at the final trumpet when Jesus returns on the day of redemption. 1 Corinthians 15:52 “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Jesus clearly demonstrated that the dead sleep. If Lazarus had gone straight to heaven Jesus would have told the disciples that he was in heaven with the Father. After Jesus raised Lazarus, nobody asked Lazarus “What was it like in heaven? Tell us about it.” No one needed to, because it was the common belief of the day that when someone died they slept until the resurrection at the last day.

The scriptures also show that we will not rise again until Jesus returns when (the heavens are no more) Job 14:12 “So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

The common misconception of many Christians today is that when they die they go directly to heaven, even though the Day of Judgment has not even occurred yet. They visualize the dead Christians in heaven with the angels praising God, but the Bible makes it clear that the dead cannot praise God, their thoughts have perished and they are asleep. Psalms 115:17 “The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

So now it is my understanding that Jesus said we will be with Him when He “comes again.” John 14:1-3. In verse 3 He says, . . . I will come again and receive you to Myself . . . I think He is saying here that at the second coming He will take us to be with Him. I think that He's coming back to get us all at the same time and since death is like sleep, it will seem like barely a moment until we are “present with the Lord.

20. SpiritLedEd

SpiritLedEd Active Member

Nermeen:

There are two dimensions in the Universe: First is God's dimension - which contains Heaven and Paradise. The second is the world and everything in it. Time does not exist in God's dimension. As the apostle Peter wrote, "With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day" (2 Pet 3:8). Remember also that Paradise is a place of great joy and peace. Christians there won't be sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Lord's return.

SLE

#20 SpiritLedEd, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)