• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

what Jesus says about mentally ill people?

hi
I wonder what Jesus says about it. If mentally ill seeking people should take medications or wait for being cured?
I have a friend suffering for biopolar disorder, I also have a friend suffering for schizofrenia. personaly I suffer for depression. Where is God in this case?

Good day to you..

I had learned of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in my high school days, and though they're on a more difficult line than the one I had back then, I want to help them with my story.

I was once a neurotic (11 years old to be exact) , and I had a PTSD once because of the abuse I've had for five consecutive years..I was exposed to panic attacks, in which, even a very small problems caused me great anxiety that I almost found it difficult to breathe for two days.

I did not tell my parents about my condition at first, but when I did, they ignored me and told me I were lying. It was painful for me in two ways--one, no one believed that I was abused and the memory kept on coming.

On those times, I asked God why those things happened to me. And guess what, brother- I found out He has reasons. Because of the mental illness I had then I learned to be stronger as a teenager right now. My wisdom increased, and now I could understand some of the people's motives and pains, as well as what happened to me served as a testimony of His love and as a good example of reasons against abuse.

God never left them. At first I was thinking that, too. But whenever I had the attack I was relieved that Someone knows the truth and the pain subsided. Encourage them with hope that for every delusions they've seen, every paranoid thoughts they visualize and the sensations they had there is a GOD who knows everything..and gives them these things because there are certain and wonderful reasons.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified
because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you;
he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:5, 6

Because God has said,
"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5

Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Psalm 73:23, 24

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father
and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Matthew 28:19, 20

In my integrity you uphold me
and set me in your presence forever.
Psalm 41:12

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm 139

Jeremiah 29:11-12
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

Also, find a good ministry that would help them to their pains. Group discussions helped me to cope up and realize that after all, I am not alone.

I will pray for you and for them..GOD BLESS...:)

Last edited:
About being cured

On your question about being cured, I would like to advise some of the following activities and actions (which personally is effective to me)

TO ONESELF
1. Writing your trials on a paper- and tear them. Little by little, I learned to conquer the anger and fear I had.
2. Distract yourself with short classes or activities- anything that interests you. I took a course about computer programming and now studying automotive, while taking my engineering degree. It helps.:)

WITH SOMEONE
1. Find organizations that will help you heal, as I've said on my earlier post. It really soothes the soul to find someone who know exactly and understands what you've going through
2. If there is a severe case of depression, seek medical care. But never forget that LORD GOD is the one who heals.:)

2 Chronicles 16:12. “In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians.

Edited Please read forum rules & guidelines

Hope this helps..:)

Psalm 145:8-9

8 d The LORD is gracious and full of compassion,
Slow to anger and great in mercy. 9 e The LORD is good to all,
And His tender mercies are over all His works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a passage in Catholic bible that I've once perused, and it is called Book of Sirach
Sirach 38:1 Honor physicians for their services, for the Lord created them; 2 for their gift of healing comes from the Most High, and they are rewarded by the king.

Asa was not a true follower of God. He leaned on Judah's neighbor nations for protection, not on God. Its logical then to assume that the physicians he depended upon were not Godly men but sorcerers. The quote from Sirach, it appears, does not apply to them.

SLE

Last edited: