• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What is wrong with People they do not even cross reference translations I beginning to think That "The Parakletos" is only A Word in people mouths

Loyal
Not only "The Parakletos" is no more than a mere word in there mouths so they can sound religiously just Like Jesus said: you call me LORD LORD and you do nothing I say, and if they got "JESUS" wrong they Have "The FATHER" wrong and "The PARAKLETOS" wrong too!

and the only thing got right is belonging to a church and was Baptize and became a "Christian" a member of "The World of Christianity" legally sign and documented in The church row call, which is excepted around the Whole world and now have become a member of The society of "Christianity" throughout the whole entire world until the very day they Died and delivered to The Grave and cover up from the very dirt that we all was created from, "from dirt we were made and to dirt we shall return.

And the most troubling is after 50 -60 years in the Church and then they died, and Then if Christ says , I never knew you, in other words, you did not know him either, you did not know the Father either, neither did you know "The Parakletos" either, but you called all three by their "titles" but you never even knew them but yet , you where "Baptize' in the name of Jesus, the Father and The Son and The Holy Ghost, and song Christmas songs, and went to church on Eastern Sundays and said Prayers and repeated The 23rd. Psalm and all of those years you prayed and you never even knew it, and He knew you not from where you Stood.

Genesis 3:19
NASB 1977
By the sweat of your face You shall eat bread, Till you return to the ground, Because from it you were taken; For you are dust, And to dust you shall return.”

1 Corinthians 15 NASB 1977
45So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.46However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. 47The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven. 48As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly.

So people have one birth in this realm and others Have 2, A Fact! and only known by those who have had the second Birth. a real Birth and not a imagination or a figure of speech! for 2 Birth is that they have been: "BORN of GOD" and when this Old body of The Flesh has Been remove then will appear the New Body, in The resurrection at The Rapture and only then will we will be reclothe in The garment of Immortality for that is why we must be "RAPTURE" and Then TAKEN TO heaven which is WHERE WE WILL BE GLORIFIED!!!!!

And Stop Believing These Lies Coming From The Mouths Of Those Who Have Not Been "Born Of God" They Have No Idea What Is Going On!! And They Have No Ideal Why There Will Be An "Twinkling Of An Eye! because they have not been "Born of GOD" if not born of God, why would he even tell .them. They are no more than liken to the men looking for the door at "LOT's" house and the door was right in front of them but their eyes were open and they could see very clearly but yet, the Door was hidden from them, But we know with God all things are Possible even with the eyes wide open, men still can be blinded by GOD! "eyes wide open but yet blind"

Yes they know God with eyes wide open. But yet, they saw him and he taught in their streets, But yet they still were blind. "with men things are impossible But with GOD all things are Possible"

For many men and women, think they are dealing with a man and manly ways, But They are dealing With A "GOD" and GOD ways that is far different than night is to day and no man can know or understand the ways of "The LORD GOD THE ALMIGHTY" ! But they claim to represent Him!
How can you represent anyone you do not know?

1 Corinthians 15 NASB 1977
50Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Behold, I tell you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. 55“O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?”

No flesh can Inherit the KINGDOM GOD" you cannot inherit nothing down here on Earth and neither can you build a Kngdom a KINGDOM of GOD!! on earth it is impossible to build something That Already exists in Eternity. he will present it to us when we are "Rapture" up to Glory and receive "Our Inheritance" in Heaven. then we gets it ALL. and The Earth too! and we come back and take it in "ViOLENCE" VIOLENCE, VIOLENCE and the blood will Run, and The Buzzards will have A meal and eat their flesh! and a Angel will chain the devil up and throw the devil in a pit and lock it, God or Jesus won't, but mere Angel will! catch that devil and chain him up for a "Thousand years" a Angel will do it and not A "GOD" but many do not understand what a "GOD" is! thinking that a mere devil cane at war with "A GOD" !!!!!!!!!~!~!~ the claim they know but they do not know what
A GOD is!!!! How dare I would think that a mere angel can be at war with " GOD" I would be a fool to Compare a "GOD" with a angel, "GOD" just have to SPEAK. he does not have to move or raise his Hand or stump his feet. just Speak the WORD, Begone! or Stop. If God tells the Devil "STOP" the Devil STOPS!!!!

Thank GOD I do not even Think Like A christian!!! But I Think like a "Child of GOD" < When I speak about My FATHER, I know who He is! And there is nothing he cannot do! No one can war with him!

Psalms 2 NSAB 1977

1Why are the nations in an uproar,
And the peoples devising a vain thing?

2The kings of the earth take their stand,
And the rulers take counsel together
Against the LORD and against His Anointed:

3“Let us tear their fetters apart,
And cast away their cords from us!”

4He Who Sits In The Heavens Laughs,

Loyal
when I look in or upon The Word within a "translation: I look For "JESUS" within The "TEXT" and I Look Hard and I look Not Alone, for I do Have "The Parakletos of GOD" Living And Walking beside me, and Believe Me, He does know "JESUS". he knows JESUS, And That same "GOD" Lives in me and Walking and would never, I say He will Never Lead me astray, for Him too, Him too, He can Not Lie! and he will never lie to me for he will always Guide me to "The Truth" and mankind will always, I said Always tell me not to Trust Him, But Bow Down to them ,and man will always do it, and demand me to bow and ask, and accept their truths and turn my
Back on The Word of GOD and trust their definitions and as they were GOD themselves "the Vicar" of Christ as popes and he need them to communicate in this modern day world on his behave. and to explain "the Truth" to His own. who can Both read and write. and can discern between wrong and right.

So child of GOD dive into The Word of The text and Open your ears and Listen as The LORD speaks to you! "hear ye Oh Israel! are those who are Born of the Spirit and not those who are Born of The Flesh but those who are Born of GOD! So I proclaim to you "Oh Hear O' Israel for Your are The People of God and Not those of the Flesh!

Loyal
NOTE: How many times have we hear this this Year about one of The Main Purpose of The "Parakletos" who is The Third Part of "The Triune GOD" and how many times we "proclaim" this this truth which is very important part of "The Good News According To Jesus Christ" He said these very words:

John 16:8 BSB
…7But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, The Advocate :eyes:will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 8And When He Comes, He Will Convict The World In Regard To Sin And Righteousness And Judgment: 9In Regard To Sin, because they do not believe in Me;…

And let us go on about "TheTriune GOD" he is more than a Gift giver and
mere comforter! for the English word "comforter" does a very injustices to the Text at hand. I mean "The Pneumatic" is what raise Jesus up from the Grave! and it will Raise up us too! With out Him, Jesus Christ, Could never have gotten up from the Dead!

NASB 1995 ROMANS 8:11
"But if the [PARAKLETOS] Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He Who Raised Christ Jesus From The Dead Will Also Give Life To Your Mortal Bodies Through His Spirit Who Dwells In You."

It just sometimes when I hear people talk about "The Father" or "The Parakletos" it seems like they do not know who they really are, and How they work all together into making us into "The Image of GOD The Father's only Son. So that, when we see Jesus, we shall be just like Him!:pensive: To me, it seems like to me, a lot of people things He is really not that important.

The words of Jesus:

John 16 BSB
7But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him toyou. 8And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to SIN and Righteousness and JUDGMENT::eyes:

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever--

John 14:26
But the Advocate, the [Parakletos] Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, Will Teach You All Things And Will Remind You Of Everything I Have Told You.

Berean Standard Bible
When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father—He will testify about Me.

King James Bible John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth;[The Parakletos] whom The World Cannot Receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Nominal Christians, Cannot receive him.:pensive: Neither do they Know him.:pensive: neither do they believe The Fathers Word about Him.:pensive:

He does a lot more, for He is "The Third Part of The Triune GOD" He is the One That Raise Jesus Christ from the DEAD! Oh Yes And I know it, Like many many more knows it, and we do not give Him the back room, for without Him, if Jesus had not went Back to send Him, he would not have come here!

PS. don't even try to comprehend how He works, for his ways are not like our Ways, neither is His thoughts liken to our Thoughts:)

NASB 1977 1 Corinthians 3:16
Do You Not Know
that you are a Temple of God, and that the [Parakletos] Spirit of God dwells in you?:)

And we know and the world do not understand this nor do the world believes this "TRUTH"

1 Corinthians 3:17
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; For God's Temple Is Holy, And You Are That Temple.:eyes: {Hello}!

1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your body is A Temple Of The Holy Spirit Who Is In You, whom you have received from God? You Are Not Your Own;

I told you, that we are different. For we are "The Sons of the LIVING GOD" Predestine before The foundations of the World before All Creation! But the world think that we are liars!! and that we do not know "THE TRUTH" of THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY" Who Is Our FATHER!:pensive:

1 JOHN 3: 1

King James Bible
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the Sons Of God: Therefore The World Knoweth Us Not,:pensive:because it knew him not.:pensive:

I am only, an encourager, to My True "Brothers and Sisters" in Christ, in a very very Dark and
deceitful world.

Matthew 12:31
31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the "PARAKLETOS" will not be forgiven. 32Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against "The PARAKLETOS"
Will Not Be Forgiven, Either In This Age Or In The One To Come.

I am PloughBoy, and I am Plowing The Fields.

The Parakletos is important.
and the word "HOLY" is not understood by many which takes many many many years to understand the meaning of "The
Holiness of GOD". as in "The Holy Spirit of The GOD ALMIGHTY"

King James Bible
In your patience possess ye your souls.
King James Bible
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited:
Loyal

ISBE:= International Standard Bible Encyclopedia​

How strange when I learn all of this material, this Set of Books costs $1300.00 - $1400.00 plus taxes in the late 1970's.

So as young men, we caught the Bus to "Detroit Main Public Library, and went into the Glass enclosed Biblical reference rooms, and spent our Saturdays mornings many hours just reading "ISBE" beginning from "A" going one page at a time, just reading Definitions and I remember when 'Thompson Chain NIV Reference Study Bible 1st. came out, we, as young men were so thrill and out done and Jumping up and down and calling everybody come see my New Bible, and we would read the Encyclopedia and the picture of Words. and then Came "Zondervan Pictorial Bible 5 set Encyclopedias came out one by one book at a time from the press. We were so excited. Now this stuff is free and is The Good Stuff , the Authoritative, The Real McCoy and the people do not even care, like one "Christmas" I told my wife I spend all this money for the kids every Christmas and they play with The Boxes and not the things that comes in the Boxes!
I start giving them money like $300.00 each they were so happy, it was cheaper than spending $3500- $4,000.00 on there gifts, :sob: Their $300..00 each did not go to far at the mall!:sob: The best thing ever happen to me, Now the wife wants $6,000.00 bracelets and high dollar Cologne :sob: and fly around the world! about 3 to 4 times a year! and Cruise Ship The 7 Seas! Poseidon Style ! "Prosperity Gospel" and I remember when she gave her Office manager her $10.000.00 Coat, she said she did want it no more.:sob:

They said I was suppose to treat my Christian wife like A "Queen":sob: You do not want to know what I told them! in The PloughBoy Style,:sob: Those Prosperity people. Telling me, I Got To Name It And claim it!!! and I didn't have enough faith!:sob: I Have been through a lot , many times they think they can run over me, trick me up, and many think I do not Know That BOOK! by Heart in more than one Translation! and the definitions of New Testament words, and New testament Thought. patterns. bring the Geniuses on, The Physics major on, The Mathematician on, the Philosopher on, bring the Psychologists on, bring the Millionaires on, The Politicians on, I say bring on The "Linguistics' majors on. I saw how God has present me, with them all and they have become my friends, either in college or on the Golf course or the ski slopes and in enterprises, or honor in committees with judges and lawyers and Theologians or doctors of Divinity!

Hey, Surrender All, Lean not unto they own understanding, Mediate in His law "Day and Night", and remember "The PARAKLETOS" "The Pneumatic" is more than a weak translation that saids "The Comforter" that is a weak but Solid translation of "The 3rd. Part of "The Triune GOD" ,

If The 3rd. Part of The TRIUNE GOD" is living in you and always at your side, and you are walking in Obedience, For what is a "Carl Sagan" to you, who is an "Einstein" to you, in conversation.s and theory, you control the show, if God is the one who has brought you together for His Purpose.:pensive: For GOD to get his point across, and not yours.:pensive:

And when you come in their contact, and how the words come to you and the style how it flows, you know beyond the shadow of The doubt it was not you, and the Pride cannot even come in, because you know you ain't that smart to put it out, that way the way you have said it. it Humbles you because you know better, they don't know it, but you do! "it was "The Parakletos" in you .:)

I remember the 1st.time I had a unction of the "Parakletos" go speak to this man, I knew him from a distance and He knew my father and that I was my father's son, so he knew my name. he was a "Millionaire", I heard, go talk to him about me. I said no way, he is a "millionaire" I was about 26 years old, he might have been in his late 60's or early 70's.​

So I walked up to him and said Hi, Tex, how are you doing, he replied "Chris, I am not doing well, I got all of this money and I have to wear a diaper and I am sick, and getting old, I could not believe he told me that , he had been knowing me since I was 17 years old and most likely heard how I had change but the only thing we have said to one another was hi, and that was it. but this day he told me his story, and when he finish, I told him about Jesus and what he done to me in this place where I worked, and how The power of God came over me in this place and how I saw Jesus and how I had inherit Eternal Life, and THE JOY He Has Place In My Soul And How He Died For Me, All Of My Sins And All My Guilt Disappeared, And How I Have Inherit All That The Father HAS Through All Eternity! it is a shared inheritance with the HIS Son. "Jesus Christ" and he thought he wasn't worthy to receive that, I said, think about it, IT cannot do you any harm , he said ok. and I walked away, and said Lord I did what you told me to do, and I said no more, I did it the way you told me and I said the very words you told me to say. and that was it.

So in my time in Christ i have spoke to "Many Millionaires" when THE "Parakletos" of GOD have given me an unction. CEO's , Presidents of Companies and they have called me into their offices and spoken to me about their wives and everything, even some of their children have know me by family conservations, and they have come to me and said "Chris" would you talk to my dad about something concerning them. and it has amaze me, but I never get into family business like that. I tell them to understand their parents view point but I never give advice to a man about his wife , or a wife about her husband never, that is between them and GOD! and I tell them. I am not in it, if a woman's has a husband and she cannot talk to him, something is wrong with her if they are Both " True Children of GOD" Born of His Spirit , both "Born of Heaven" not confessing Christians, But "Born of GOD" children. I never get in between or give e advice to a woman about her husband and do not want to hear it. I wlll listen to a man compliant and always encourage him, men we have to suffer and just trust God, we will lose for we are the main enemy of The devil and most of the time we will lose. But still trust him win or lose. learn how to suffer and walk alone. " For a Man enemies with be those of His own home" there is no such thing as worldly happy Home for A True Child of The Living GOD" for we are The devils Main Target and Our wives will despise our rule for it is a part of her curse. she will want to rule over you always. for your rule will never satisfy her. for she thinks all should go well in a christian family a "Prosperity Life style" for the devil will always be whispering in her ear. Her not realizing her enemy is not you , But all outsiders and the flesh and the devil are the true enemies and she is suppose to be your Help meet to conquer these enemies "the world" the work of the flesh and The devil"

Paraclete

par'-a-klet:

See also the McClintock and Strong Biblical Cyclopedia.

1. Where Used:​

This word occurs 5 times in the New Testament, all in the writings of John. Four instances are in the Gospel and one in the First Epistle. In the Gospel the in the Epistle, 1Jo 2:1. "Paraclete" is simply the Greek word transferred into English. The translation of the word in English Versions of the Bible is "Comforter" in the Gospel, and "Advocate" in the Epistle. The Greek word is parakletos, froth the verb parakaleo. The word for "Paraclete" is passive in form, and etymologically signifies "called to one's side." The active form of the word is parakletor, not found in the New Testament but found in Septuagint in Job 16:2 in the plural, and means "comforters," in the saying of Job regarding the "miserable comforters" who came to him in his distress.

2. General Meaning:​

In general the word signifies: (1) a legal advocate, or counsel for defense, (2) an intercessor, (3) a helper, generally. The first, or technical, judicial meaning is that which predominates in classical usage, corresponding to our word "advocate," "counsel," or "attorney." The corresponding Latin word is advocatus, "advocate," the word applied to Christ in English Versions of the Bible in the translation of the Greek word parakletos, in 1Jo 2:1. There is some question whether the translation "Comforter" in the passages of John's Gospel in the King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) is warranted by the meaning of the word. It is certain that the meaning "comforter" is not the primary signification, as we have seen. It is very probably, however, a secondary meaning of the word, and some of its cognates clearly convey the idea of comfort in certain connections, both in Septuagint and in the New Testament (Ge 37:35; Zec 1:13; Mt 5:4; 2Co 1:3-4). In the passage in 2 Corinthians the word in one form or another is used 5 times and in each means "comfort." In none of these instances, however, do we find the noun "Paraclete," which we are now considering.

3. In the Talmud and Targums:​

Among Jewish writers the word "Paraclete" came to have a number of meanings. A good deed was called a paraclete or advocate, and a transgression was an accuser. Repentance and good works were called paracletes: "The works of benevolence and mercy done by the people of Israel in this world become agents of peace and intercessors (paracletes) between them and their Father in heaven." The sin offering is a paraclete; the paraclete created by each good deed is called an angel (Jewish Encyclopedia, IX, 514-15, article "Paraclete").

4. As Employed by Philo:​

Philo employs the word in several instances. Usually he does not use it in the legal, technical sense. Joseph is represented as bestowing forgiveness on his brethren who had wronged him and declaring that they needed "no one else as paraclete," or intercessor (De Joseph c. 40). In his Life of Moses, iii.14, is a remarkable passage which indicates Philo's spiritualizing methods of interpreting Scripture as well as reflects his philosophic tendency. At the close of a somewhat elaborate account of the emblematic significance of the vestments of the high priest and their jeweled decorations, his words are: "The twelve stones arranged on the breast in four rows of three stones each, namely, the logeum, being also an emblem of that reason which holds together and regulates the universe. For it was indispensable (anagkaion) that the man who was consecrated to the Father of the world should have, as a paraclete, his son, the being most perfect in all virtue, to procure the forgiveness of sins, and a supply of unlimited blessings." This is rather a striking verbal or formal parallel to the statement in 1Jo 2:1 where Christ is our Advocate with the Father, although of course Philo's conceptions of the Divine "reason" and "son" are by no means the Christian conceptions.

5. The Best Translation:​

If now we raise the question what is the best translation of the term "Paraclete" in the New Testament, we have a choice of several words. Let us glance at them in order. The translation "Comforter" contains an element of the meaning of the word as employed in the Gospels, and harmonizes with the usage in connection with its cognates, but it is too narrow in meaning to be an adequate translation. Dr. J. Hastings in an otherwise excellent article on the Paraclete in HDB says the Paraclete was not sent to comfort the disciples, since prior to His actual coming and after Christ's promise the disciples' sorrow was turned into joy. Dr. Hastings thinks the Paraclete was sent to cure the unbelief or half-belief of the disciples. But this conceives the idea of comfort in too limited a way. No doubt in the mind of Jesus the comforting aspect, of the Spirit's work applied to all their future sorrows and trials, and not merely to comfort for their personal loss in the going of Christ to the Father. Nevertheless there was more in the work of the Paraclete than comfort in sorrow. "Intercessor" comes nearer the root idea of the term and contains an essential part of the meaning. "Advocate" is a closely related word, and is also suggestive of the work of the Spirit. Perhaps there is no English word broad enough to cover all the significance of the word "Paraclete" except the word "Helper." The Spirit helps the disciples in all the above-indicated ways. Of course the objection to this translation is that it is too indefinite. The specific Christian conception is lost in the comprehensiveness of the term. Our conclusion, therefore, is that the term "Paraclete" itself would perhaps be the best designation of the Spirit in the passage in John's Gospel. It would thus become a proper name for the Spirit and the various elements of meaning would come to be associated with the words which are found in the context of the Gospel.

Christianity introduced many new ideas into the world for which current terms were inadequate media of expression. In some cases it is best to adopt the Christian term itself, in our translations, and let the word slowly acquire its own proper significance in our thought and life. If, however, instead of translating we simply transfer the word "Paraclete" as a designation of the Holy Spirit in the Gospel passages, we would need then to translate it in the passage in the Epistle where it refers to Christ. But this would offer no serious difficulty. For fortunately in the Epistle the word may very clearly be translated "Advocate" or "Intercessor."

6. Christ's Use of the Word:​

We look next at the contents of the word as employed by Jesus in reference to the Holy Spirit. In Joh 14:16 the Paraclete is promised as one who is to take the place of Jesus. It is declared elsewhere by Jesus that it is expedient that He go away, for unless He go away the Paraclete will not come (Joh 16:7). Is the Paraclete, then, the successor or the substitute for Christ as He is sometimes called? The answer is that He is both and neither. He is the successor of Christ historically, but not in the sense that Christ ceases to act in the church. He is the substitute for Christ's physical presence, but only in order that He may make vital and actual Christ's spiritual presence. As we have seen, the Paraclete moves only in the range of truths conveyed in and through Christ as the historical manifestation of God. A "Kingdom of the Spirit," therefore, is impossible in the Christian sense, save as the historical Jesus is made the basis of the Spirit's action in history. The promise of Jesus in Joh 14:18, "I come unto," is parallel and equivalent in meaning with the preceding promise of the Paraclete. The following are given as the specific forms of activity of the Holy Spirit: (1) to show them the things of Christ, (2) to teach them things to come, (3) to teach them all things, (4) to quicken their memories for past teaching, (5) to bear witness to Christ, (6) to dwell in believers, (7) other things shown in the context such as "greater works" than those of Christ (see Joh 14:16-17), (8) to convict of sin, of righteousness and judgment. It is possible to range the shades of meaning outlined above under these various forms of the Spirit's activity. As Comforter His work would come under (1), (2), (3) and (6); as Advocate and Intercessor under (6), (7), (8); as Helper and Teacher under (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8).

The manner of the sending of the Paraclete is of interest. In Joh 14:16 the Paraclete comes in answer to Christ's prayer. The Father will give the Spirit whom the world cannot receive. In Joh 14:26 the Father will send the Spirit in Christ's name. Yet in Joh 15:26 Christ says, "I will send (him) unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth," and in Joh 16:7, "If I go, I will send him unto you."

See HOLY SPIRIT.

7. As Applied to Christ:​

It remains to notice the passage in 1Jo 2:1 where the term "Paraclete" is applied to Christ: "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"; 1Jo 2:2 reads: "and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world." Here the meaning is quite clear and specific. Jesus Christ the righteous is represented as our Advocate or Intercessor with the Father. His righteousness is set over against our sin. Here the Paraclete, Christ, is He who, on the basis of His propitiatory offering for the sins of men, intercedes for them with God and thus averts from them the penal consequences of their transgressions. The sense in which Paraclete is here applied to Christ is found nowhere in the passages we have cited from the Gospel. The Holy Spirit as Paraclete is Intercessor or Advocate, but not in the sense here indicated. The Spirit as Paraclete convicts the world of sin, of righteousness and judgment. Jesus Christ as Paraclete vindicates believers before God.

LITERATURE.

Grimm-Thayer, Gr-Eng. Lexicon of the New Testament; Cremer, Biblico-Theol. Lexicon; HDB, article "Paraclete"; DCG, article "Paraclete"; EB, article "Paraclete"; Jew Encyclopedia, article "Paraclete"; Hare, Mission of the Comforter; Pearson, On the Creed; Taylor, Sayings of the Jewish Fathers; various comms., Westcott, Godet and others.

See list of books appended to article on HOLY SPIRIT.

enjoy your read and take you time.