• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Unequally Yoked

You know this is the same question I asked on CF a while back and had serious debates about with other members with. It sounds like probally dating someone thats not a christian I might be wrong, I myself dated a none-christian (don't really like talking about past relationships). But I will make an exception since you asked it I will try my best to answer your question (not going to preach) in my own pearsonal view I see nothing wrong with it. But you have to ask yourself is this the pearson that God wants me to be with, that was a question I didn't ask and got side tracked with a lot of things. Won't go into a whole lot of detail but before you get serious I would pray about it first friend if I can help you anymore please drop me a e-mail or private message.

Thank you for posting and God bless

God's Word says

! Corinthians 6: 14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people

Should a believer ever be married to a non-believer?

:thumbs_do "NO, NOT EVER" :thumbs_do

As with all the scriptures listed in the above posts, the Word clearly says not to.

I know marriage to a believer is hard enough, not even to mention 2 different people coming from 2 different back grounds and beliefs.

Your sister in Christ,
AlabasterBox :girl: :rainbow:

A believer who is trying to justify getting married to an unbeliever is certainly asking for big trouble. Being in love blindsights people to practical eventualities. People make such marriage decisions with their heads in the clouds, and wind up losing head and heart. Being in love is not the agape of God. The eyes of romance either justify or refuse to see interferences that will become anything from nuisances to spirit-draining tragic griefs. Believers may believe that their love will overcome to bring the object of their affection to Christ, but it ain't so. If a potential spouse won't give themselves to the Lord before marriage, then the giant odds are that after marriage will take the believer's life in Christ and turn it into a life of confusion -- a real unequal yoke.

There is one place in Scripture where Paul addresses Christians who are already married to unbelievers, but he states that it is his own advice. For the most part, he is likely referring to former unbelieving couples where one spouse accepted the Lord.

1 Corinthians 7:

12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her.
13*And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.
14*For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
15*But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.
16*For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

no debate

it is very important to ensure that we don't make the Word of God convenient to us.
God Does not approve and even someone went into a relationship like this..u prevent God from working through u. this is what living sacrificial is all about. be a christian first and everything else afterwards.

God Bless
Never lose your joy

It is very hard for I am married to a believer however that doesn t practice....I know my husband loves God...But it isn t easy it is sacrificail. But it is worth it to be a witness to your spouse...the one you love and I believe that God has me in my marriage for a reason

Does anyone believe that if there are 'signs' that an unbeliever may become a follower of Christ (in a certain space of time), that a Christian can knowingly enter into a friendship with the person or consider they could become a future marriage partner? If the believer is lonely or advancing in years and they have not met anyone at church would this make a difference? Not speaking about myself or my own situation necessarily, but as a single believer this discussion is of course of interest to me.

Active
If you are a "Spirit filled" believer just holding a conversation with a non-believer is a burden.An unyoked "Spirit filled" believer would simply never be attracted to a non-believer.

If you are attracted to a non-believer then you are a "flesh filled" believer.Such a one is already unequally yoked within themselves.

The more sticky situations are when two unbelievers marry and then one or both become believers,and or one or both of them falls away either temporarily or permanently.The "Spirit filled" one in this situation will then have an opportunity to fulfill scripture by going to the cross for the other.The "Spirit filled" one will pray for "the spouse of their youth" as themselves because they know the two are one flesh and can never be separated.Your first spouse is your spouse according to scripture.

What the Lord has joined together let no man put asunder.
Mans law does NOT trump Gods.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for your wise advice.
(I might also peruse the 'dating unbelievers' type threads and advice too).
Kind regards.