• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Right Kind of Pride

Staff Member
Great [is] my boldness of speech toward you, great [is] my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation. 2 Corinthians 7:4

Can you remember the last time you told a loved one or a friend or coworker, “I’m proud of you!”? The word pride can make many Christians nervous, because they know that God has stated repeatedly that He hates the sin of pride. But nowhere in the bible are believers barred from speaking words of praise for a person who has done something well, and sometimes it’s even fitting to use the word proud when you do so.

The apostle Paul gave voice to this expression of pride when he told the Christians in first-century Corinth, “I take great pride in you.” The context of the apostle’s kind words for the Corinthians was how they had handled an especially ugly incident of sexual immorality in their church.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking pride in a job well done or in the words or actions of our children or other loved ones. So when one of your children does something especially noteworthy (such as a great report card or an act of kindness toward another person) or when a coworker accomplishes something great at work, don’t hesitate to let them know that you’ve noticed. You might even punctuate your recognition by telling them, “I’m proud of you!”