1. Featured Thread

The Helmet of Salvation

Depressed? Hopeless? Filled with self-pity? Learn how to overcome these problems. Understand the mind is the battlefield for all spiritual warfare. Hear Derek explain the nature of “hope” and how an “optimistic attitude that always sees the best, will not give way to depression and doubt and self-pity.”

View This Bible Study

2. Featured Thread

Parables of Jesus

Jesus' parables are short stories that teach a moral or spiritual lesson by analogy or similarity. They are often stories based on the agricultural life that was intimately familiar to His original first century audience.

Some aspect of an unfamiliar concept, such as the kingdom of God, was compared to something from everyday life that could easily be understood.

View The Parables

3. Featured Thread

There is a lot of noise, lots of "religions" and beliefs out there to confuse anyone. But, Jesus is real. He loves you, He's ready to forgive you for all your sins and make your heart His dwelling place. Read about God's characteristics and attributes and get to know the real Jesus today.

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?
    How To Be Friends With God
    Why believe in Christianity?
    The Attributes of God

View the Seeking Jesus forum

The Doctrine of Balaam.

Discussion in 'Sermons' started by stephen, Sep 19, 2010.

Share This Page

Random Thread
  1. stephen

Staff Member
    Expand Collapse

"Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel - Rev. 2:4

Balaam observed the letter of God's law, but utterly violated the spirit of it. He was not allowed to curse. He blessed in words, but at the same time he counselled Balak how to induce the people to sin, so that they might be cursed.

He is an outstanding illustration of an attempt to divorce religeon from morality. His religeon was intellectual and outward, not moral and inward. It never reached his heart and conscience, it never touched his spirit. His prevailing motive was the lust of gain. He gave God's blessing in words, but brought God's curse through inducing them to sin. Num. 25:1-9

We come to the last chapter in Balaam's story. "Let me die the death of the righteous", he had said but he was not prepared to live the life of the righteous. Moses last achievement was to stamp out idolatry and sensual sin, and we read that Balaam also they slew with the sword' Num.31:8. He knew the truth but was not obedient to it.

So again and again throughout the bible we have the story of Balaam referred to - Joshua. 13.22. Josh. 22:9. Neh.13:2. Neh.22:5.
    2.Peter:2.15. Jude.11. Rev.2:14.

It can be summed up in that message to the church at Pergamos: "But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast them there that hold the doctrine Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel".

A man who accepted the authority of God who knew what was his duty: but when temptation came, instead of at once casting it on one side, he dallied with it, and one by one the checks and restraints which God had put in his way as an hedge about him, to keep him in his path and his will, were brokendown.

2. spottydog

Expand Collapse

Have you read 'The great falling away today' by Milton Green.

I think you would like it. You can read it free online if you google it.

3. bamagrad05

Expand Collapse

THat is so true

A donkey ( jack azz) humbled Balaam

4. soberxp

Expand Collapse

#4 soberxp, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    "Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel - Rev. 2:4

which verse is The Doctrine of Balaam.?

Numbers - 22:18
    kjv:And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more. (Isaiah 43:11-12)

Micah - 6:5
    kjv:O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him from Shittim unto Gilgal; that ye may know the righteousness of the LORD.
    niv:My people, remember what Balak king of Moab counseled and what Balaam son of Beor answered. Remember your journey from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the righteous acts of the LORD ."
    amp:O My people, [earnestly] remember now what Balak king of Moab devised and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him; [remember what the Lord did for you] from [1]Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the righteous and saving acts of the Lord.(1)
    asv:O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab devised, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him; [remember] from Shittim unto Gilgal, that ye may know the righteous acts of Jehovah.
    nasb:"My people, remember now What Balak king of Moab counseled And what Balaam son of Beor answered him, {And} from Shittim to Gilgal, So that you might know the righteous acts of the LORD."
    esv:"O my people, remember what Balak king of Moab devised, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him, and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts of the LORD."""

REV 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

which verse said Balaam taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication?

so The Doctrine of Balaam who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication????!!!!!!!!!!!
    I must going to the wrong place!

5. soberxp

Expand Collapse

#5 soberxp, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Jud 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

the error of Balaam whether to do less or more..
    GOD:"If the men come to call thee, rise up, and go with them"
    error of Balaam :“And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his A.SS, and went with the princes of Moab.
    but I'm and you'are not sure whether Balaam ran greedily after the error for reward。

Numbers - 22:18
    kjv:And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more. (Isaiah 43:11-12)

cuz

sorry.I only learning from bible not from floks.