• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Playing "Hard to get"

Loyal
Before I married my wife, we dated for about 6 months or so. Sometimes I would call her up, and ask her out, and she would just meet me somewhere.
But sometimes.... she would make it difficult, I remember once she wanted to go hiking up in the mountains, and she made me drive about 40 miles,
and then hike about a mile to meet her. I had to pay for the parking there also. She admitted later, some of these things were a test.
She wanted to know if I was willing to pursue her. She wanted to know if she was worth my effort or not.

We used to have a "men's breakfast" at a church I attended, it was free every Saturday morning. We had a short Bible study or devotional afterwards.
When it began it was successful, we even had men who didn't normally attend our church start coming. But after a while, it seems a lot of men
came for the free breakfast.. but had to go to work or someplace before the Bible study or devotional began.
We quit having the breakfast because of this. We started meeting at a restaurant where everyone had to pay for their own meal.
This worked out a lot better. Men who were willing to put a little skin in the game, or invest a little were a lot more willing to stay around
and be part of the Bible study. If someone was willing to pay to be involved, you knew they really wanted to be a part of the group.
Believe it or not, the group got quite a bit larger after this.

Now there are times in the Bible, God just wants us to sit still. I like the way the NASB puts this verse.

Psa 46:10; “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

"Cease striving". At this time God doesn't want you to be busy chasing Him and impressing Him. (can we really impress Him?)
He just wants you to be still and recognize who He is.

But more often than not, God wants us to pursue Him.

Isa 55:6; Seek the Lord while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.
Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
Col 3:1; Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Deut 4:29; But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul.
Acts 17:27; that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us

I think some people say they are looking for God. They walk out the front door, take a look around the yard for a few seconds,
"well.. I looked for Him, He isn't here.. I guess I'll go back inside and watch the ball game.
We spend more time flipping through the channels to find something, than we do trying to find God.
Maybe sometimes God lets trials and tribulations happen in our lives... just to see if we will look for Him or not.

Is He worth the effort?

Loyal
my preacher was talking about this at our prayer meeting monday night. saying WHY are we at this prayer meeting?? it seems most of the time we are praying for God to "do" something for us. How about we pray to know God better, for God to reveal himself to us.

I often here people say I just dont feel God, and most of the time if you dig they are not even reading his word, how can we know God if we are not in his word. We need to be in his word and on our face,, to really know God IMO