• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Living long

Loyal
I have to admit, it is somewhat amazing to me how long many of the old testament Patriarchs lived. Here are a few examples, there are many more.

Gen 5:5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.
Gen 5:8 So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.
Gen 5:17 So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.
Gen 9:29 So all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years, and he died.
Gen 5:27; So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.

There has been speculation about how long Adam would have lived, if he never ate the fruit.... perhaps... forever?

In Genesis 6 , it seems God starts setting an age limit on men.

Gen 6:3; Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

In Psalms, there may be a shorter limit.

Psa 90:9; For all our days have declined in Your fury; We have finished our years like a sigh.
Psa 90:10; As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, Or if due to strength, eighty years, Yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; For soon it is gone and we fly away.

It seems in todays world, there may be people about 115 years old or so. But not many. I am not aware of anyone older than 120, but I suppose it's possible.
Now of course Christians, will live forever, but that's in another body in another place (heaven? new Jerusalem? New Earth?) I am talking about the natural flesh body here.

There was a promise with one of the commandments.

Exod 20:12; "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

That your days may be prolonged. The new testament repeats this. (A commandment written to the Ephesians? Gentiles)

Eph 6:2; HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise),
Eph 6:3; SO THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH YOU, AND THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG ON THE EARTH.

So perhaps by honoring our parents, it's possible we will live longer... but still, not forever.

Loyal
Exod 20:12; "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

I have often wondered about this, what comes to mind for some reason is Jim Elliot a great missionary who died a very young age, I dont know for a fact that he honored his father and mother but I would have to assume he did, as He gave his life to God at a young age.

then there are others who die at young age lots of them who are in gangs selling drugs and not honoring there parents at all, then it makes sense and this is the more common situation I see in todays world

Active
God can't be impressed with science extending life.

On one hand He is impressed with us using our noggins. On the other, He knows what comes with long life.