• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

is it a sin for christian to go night clubbing

is it a sin for christian to go night clubbing ?

• yes, it is a sin

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • maybe ?

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • no, it's ok

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • not sure ?

Votes: 17 12.5%

• Total voters
may as well ask can you hug a demon without it refusing to let go....because when you put yourself around a situation like that your just been influenced like those who are in there

I was going to respond different to this thread, but as I wrote it I erased it just as fast. So I will just say I know where I stand with the Lord Jesus Christ and I believe he leads everyone differently. I need not explain my actions to mere man but only to God. I feel the few ocassions I go to a bar with my friend, Kent, has been very beneficial to showing him the passion I have for Christ. As I said before it seems weird that he won't even touch the subject if I am not on his grounds. I do respect your beliefs on this matter but will stay committed to what I feel the Lord is guiding me to do. To go to a bar on the intentions to spend quality time with a lost friend, is totally different then going to a bar for my own pleasure.

Amen man...I can't tell you what the Lord is saying but if he is telling you to do that than Amen

I was going to respond different to this thread, but as I wrote it I erased it just as fast. So I will just say I know where I stand with the Lord Jesus Christ and I believe he leads everyone differently. I need not explain my actions to mere man but only to God. I feel the few ocassions I go to a bar with my friend, Kent, has been very beneficial to showing him the passion I have for Christ. As I said before it seems weird that he won't even touch the subject if I am not on his grounds. I do respect your beliefs on this matter but will stay committed to what I feel the Lord is guiding me to do. To go to a bar on the intentions to spend quality time with a lost friend, is totally different then going to a bar for my own pleasure.

There are so many in Christiandom who allow themselves to be led by thought, opinions, common consensus, polls like these, what have you...they all add up to being led of men...

There is something to be said for being led by the Spirit...and you`ve said it well. I really appreciate your responses here.

Blessings

1Jn 5:18 We know that the person who has been born from God does not go on sinning. Rather, the Son of God protects them, and the evil one cannot harm them.
1Jn 5:19 We know that we are from God and that the whole world lies under the control of the evil one.
1Jn 5:20 We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding so that we may know the true God. We are in union with the one who is true, his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Active
I have seen so many struggle in them selfs over this?Let me give you courage.1 Cor 9:22-23 The purpose,2 rom 14:13-23 john 16:13 My brothers and sisters in Christ,I have no stones in my pocket! Nor do I pick up any on my own journey! I am commanded to do one thing!! John 15:17 LOVE That is all I ever will do!! Let him who judges remember this!! Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone! be at peace! As you have the Holy Spirit in you! John 15:7-12! blessing to you all in Christ!

Sin is everything that does not spring from faith in God.

It is not always very helpful or satisfactory to label activities sinful or not sinful, and it can be a short cut to legalism rather than to the freedom to which we are called.

There is nothing wrong in itself about having a good time in a nightclub. Your Christian witness to your friends is about your whole life, and you are likely to have more influence on them on the dancefloor than you would outside handing out tracts.

But you ought not be naive about the environment - there is plenty to offend and distract you from your walk with God.

I would say that in the end, this is a question of wisdom, rather than of black and white right and wrong.

Be sensible and make sure you are accountable to Christian friends that you can trust. Then if you do fall (and we all do at some time) you will have someone nearby to help you back onto your feet.

Without knowing you or your situation, its not really appropriate to give a more specific answer.

You make a good point.

1. 1 Corinthians 6:12
    All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

2. 1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
I can do 'legally' do anything I want and not sin. But! Not everything I do is good for me.

I don't know. Do most Christians stay away from rated R films too? I think if you go for some food and dancing and don't get drunk or be promiscuous then I would say go for it. Have fun. Life isn't suppose to be boring just keep your moral standards intact.

Loyal
1Co 15:33 Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character.
1Co 15:34 Awake [from your drunken stupor and return] to sober sense and your right minds, and sin no more. For some of you have not the knowledge of God [you are utterly and willfully and disgracefully ignorant, and continue to be so, lacking the sense of God's presence and all true knowledge of HimI say this to your shame.

Last edited:
What kind of music is it?

I heard someone gave this story about the history of clubs.

What we call 'club' today was known in history as the 'sanctuary'.
This was a place where people would be mesmerized(whose root is Mesmer, i.e Franz Mesmer) without actually using drugs etc,
but just flash lights, loud music etc.

This would be worldly music by the way, which does not glorify God.

I think the question should now be, should Christians listen (play) to
worldly music? To that my answer would be a no. The bible tells us to sing unto to the Lord.

Psa 30:4 Singunto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

If the club music is changed to godly music and the worldly dances etc are stopped,
then I'd think it's good to go, but if that is to be done
would it still be (called) a club? I don't think so. Let us rejoice in the church. Let us sing unto the name of the Lord. As Abraham's descendants, through the seed-our Lord Jesus Christ, let us sing to them, not with them.

Rom 15:9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

I'd have to say that it's fine. And I say that carefully. But it seems like when people object to it, it is because they assume that the people go only to get drunk and essentially, "go wild."

It doesn't have to be that way, and I don't see what the problem would be with a group of friends going to a club to enjoy some good food with one another, to catch up.

I agree also that for some it would lead to irresponsible behavior. So yes, I do think it's important for one to be sure that if they are going to go somewhere they won't be led into any kind of temptation. Simple as that.

Just be responsible in your walk with God, and if you can't do that, then don't go to the club. My thoughts, anyway.

I dont have a problem with some music, but it should represent who you are. In some cases. Like , I'm Country, so I might like some Country music, but other then that, I love to listen to mostly Christian Rock and Christian Rap. I don't like anything that doesn't give a good message. Most of the time I feel like the rest is just talk and that's when I turn it off. But that's just me.

I don't like anything that doesn't give a good message.

I agree GlitterStics. We should listen to the words of the music we play. And if it does
not give a good message, then we stop as you said you do. We are new creatures,
and we ought to let our minds be renewed by the word of God, continually.

One could just google lyrics of the songs and just read them. See if they agree with
our identity in Christ, and make a decision from there.

Would club music agree? I don't think so.

Yes it is a sin

In the past I have been to a couple of clubs. I would not recommend these places even for those who are not Christian. It is venues of all kinds of troubles. Even like a friend of mine who went to clubs eventually met a girl He married. He is happier by far. I’ve been to a few bars in the past. They are not so wild. These were quiet places more but it sets a bad example to others even if you just want to shoot pool like I did and talk to people. If you are deep into God and want things to make sense about things you won’t want to be around this crowd Bars and Clubs are dead end places to go where you meet false friends and get into trouble even if not looking for it. These places can be as a Lions Den but not one to expect the Lord to close their mouths in these places. You’re good as lunch hahaha. Stay wise and stay out from one who already found this out by trying to socialize just a drink some pool. These people will not get you anywhere. I know someone by the name of M.S. He goes to the Bar on weekends. His life always sounds so depressing when he could be at better places to go and meet people. . Everyone is using him and He is wasting all his money on drinking Gambling and smoking.

I don't see what the problem would be with a group of friends going to a club to enjoy some good food with one another, to catch up.

It may depend on what kind of "club" you go to and what kind of neighborhood its in. Where I live, some people went to a certain club this past Saturday for some food and drink and a quiet good time. Later, a big group of bikers from a motorcycle club renowned for violence showed up. Soon thereafter a police officer spotted the gang and in short order a whole squad of uniformed and plainclothes officers were on the scene. A gunfight ensued in which one of the bikers died and two police officers were injured slightly.

SLE

Night clubbing?

Going clubbing isn't a sin in and of itself, however it leaves you open to sinful decisions and behaviors. I have learned this the hard way, thinking that I could go to the bar just to sing karoake and still maintain my "Christianity". I found out that the enemy is ever present and soon found myself making poor decisions and falling back. It is not a good idea to become overly involved with "worldly" activities.

A little food for thought

(Psalm 1:1) Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.

(Psalms 119:1 Aleph) Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD.

If you have to go make sure Jesus is with you. How much does it cost to get through the door? The Homeless man around the corner has greater need than the club.
(Psalms 119:2) Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart.

Walking the path Jesus laid down.
(Psalms 119:3) They do nothing wrong; they walk in his ways.

Just cause everyone is doing it we don't need to.
(Psalms 119:19) I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.

We must keep Jesus in mind.
(Psalms 119:32) I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

Is not there lots of worthlessness in this?
(Psalms 119:37) Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.

Don't you see the wicked in places like this?
(Psalms 119:53) Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.

Seek Jesus.
(Psalms 119:58) I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.

Are you able to pray to Jesus with the pulsing beats of Brooklyn Bounce in the background?
(Psalms 119:62) At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.

What does the Holy Spirit say to you about going?
(Psalms 119:66) Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands.

(Psalms 119:67) Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.

How many callous and unfeeling hearts do you meet there.
(Psalms 119:70) Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law.

Is what Jesus said more precious to you than wolrdly things?
(Psalms 119:72) The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

If you go remember Jesus's commands
(Psalms 119:98) Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me.

What kind of path is it?
(Psalms 119:101) I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.

Make sure you bring your light with you
(Psalms 119:105 Nun) Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

We are not perfect and sometimes are very foolish.
(Psalms 119:109) Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.

Isn't there lots of snares? One doctored drink and Ohoh (I'm drinking only soda? Drugs work in soda also).
(Psalms 119:110) The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts.

Not everyone in places like this is thinking of good.
(Psalms 119:115) Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!

(Psalms 119:118) You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their deceitfulness is in vain.

(Psalms 119:119) All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes.

We can get stregth to resist temptation. Daniel at times worked in very corrupt surroundings.
(Psalms 119:122) Ensure your servant's well-being; let not the arrogant oppress me.

Can a fish drink up the sea? We can't drink all the mercy Jesus has for us.
(Psalms 119:132) Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.

Where does the Holy Spirit tell you to go?
(Psalms 119:133) Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.

Is everyone you meet in these places thinking on Jesus?
(Psalms 119:136) Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.

Are you the odd person at these places?
(Psalms 119:155) Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek out your decrees.

Lastly this.
(Psalms 119:176) I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.

Administrator
Staff Member
Going clubbing isn't a sin in and of itself, however it leaves you open to sinful decisions and behaviors. I have learned this the hard way, thinking that I could go to the bar just to sing karoake and still maintain my "Christianity". I found out that the enemy is ever present and soon found myself making poor decisions and falling back. It is not a good idea to become overly involved with "worldly" activities.

In agreement on this.

There is no reason to surround oneself in a worldly environment such as bars or clubs where sin is rampant and the temptation is strong.

No I don’t think it’s a sin. If someone wants to go have a fun evening out with friends and wants to dance. Have a few drinks. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Sure going to a night club could have the potential to lead to something sinful but that could be said about nearly anything. Not everyone who goes to clubs are looking to get drunk off their rear end. One just has to be smart. Some people can handle different things. If someone feels going to a dance club is not going to be good for them don’t go. If you know feel you can control yourself take a few friends and have a good time. I’ve have never been clubbing. I know it wouldn’t be my think. I’m just not into music blaring so loud and I’m not a dancer, I dont like large crowds even more packed croweds. I do not drink much , I just don’t have the taste for booze (99% of it).