• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is Heavy/Metal acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely agree with you.

I spent great part of my life listening to punk rock
music,but when the grace of God appeared He
gave me a sweet love for the hymnals,
theres passion,there power in these that I never
found in the mosh pits of Los Angeles.

When I hear Christian artist trying to imitate worldly
sounds I cant help but see cheesiness in all this.

I believe God has gifted His Church with the ability to create a
distinct sound,were supposed to be different even when we
make noise..

Thank you for your thoughts my friend.

En Cristo Carlos

This type of music is an expressive tool for the angry and rebellious not for the joyous and peaceful soul.
( yes Heavy Metal bands do have some softer songs but I am concerned about the HEAVY music) I'll accept the softer ones.

Many people who listen to heavy music do so for the adrenaline rush, not because of anger or a rebellious soul. There are many heavy bands who do not even have a singer.

I love heavy metal! There are some awesome Christian bands that a lot of youth listen to. I think its okay. I've even had a few people who weren't Christians talk to me about the music they listened to from Christian bands, I used it as a "sharing Jesus" opportunity. I think its definitely okay. I do wonder, however, if this view would be the same across generations.

I agree with you Isba I feel that all music is good God created music and as long as it glorifies Him thats all that maters. It is what man does to it that can poison it I'm not much of a heavy metal person myself but if that is what some people desire to listen to than it would be great if they had that style of music that glorifies Christ. We all have different tastes some prefer heavy metal some prefer r&b it is all good in my opinion if it honors God. Godbless love in Christ

Lol Ship, I try to like R&B but for some reasons it just reminds me of music I use to listen to when I wasn't a Christian. There are some really good groups though. Out of curiosity I recently browsed some Christian Rock/Metal music to see what came up on MySpace and 75% of the material wasn't really Christian. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Now, because I do listen to it I know good music exists. So, like everything in todays world I think we need to research what we are entertaining ourselves with.

I absolutely agree with you.

I spent great part of my life listening to punk rock
music,but when the grace of God appeared He
gave me a sweet love for the hymnals,
theres passion,there power in these that I never
found in the mosh pits of Los Angeles.

When I hear Christian artist trying to imitate worldly
sounds I cant help but see cheesiness in all this.

I believe God has gifted His Church with the ability to create a
distinct sound,were supposed to be different even when we
make noise..

Thank you for your thoughts my friend.

En Cristo Carlos
Everyone has a different opinion I supose. I beleive these artists are reaching kids that possibly we could not. As long as God is glorified I am all for it. As far as distinct sounds my friend, I have been to a lot of churches and each one has a completely different sound of style.

The title of this thread has been sitting here for days ~ and I keep having this thought every time I see it...and my sense of humor has won...

If I bang two heavy metal pots together, is it wrong?

Satan's name written all over stuff

some lyrics from my favorite Christina metal band
The incomprehensibility of A love so pure Too good to be true It seems

This preposterous act of empathy
Unveiling my insufficiency
The will of God accomplished
Redemption revealed

Realize, repent, receive
Confession of inadequacy
Initiate, admit, believe

I am not my own- I belong to he who sacrificed The glory of eternity and fullness of peace To fathom this mystery Is beyond what I can express That he'd endure this path of pain

Realize, repent, receive Confession of inadequacy Initiate, admit, believe Freedom

The incarnation of the one I am? Inverting the course of history
Hiding the kingdom in the heart of man For him to share the grace of God
Part of another song of theirs. Essence

oh, let your warm breeze blow away all this filth in my soul
wash me white as snow
lift me up again
oh, let your mercy flow
give me life so I can live
and so, now I can once again lift my head up high
shamelessly look into anyone's eyes
because when I'm weak, then you are strong
yeah, I will leave condemnation and sin behind
confidently marching forward with this in mind
you are right when I am wrong
I will not let go, I will not give in
'cause he told me so: by his love I'll win

I would be inclined to say that these songs Honor and Glorify God as much as if not much more then many of the so called worship songs I often find myself singing in church. Another thing these people aren't paid to wright worship songs to God in fact they would be paid much better of they didn't.

the song is indeed beautiful, but there are a whole lot of Heavy/Metal songs that have content that are of the Devil. The Devil, as the father of lies, can use songs like the one above to draw people to listen to his very own type of music. People will start to think, "Aw, this is heavy metal Christian music... maybe I can listen to other heavy metal stuff too.. so long as they got good lyrics" and then it'll get worse and worse until the good lyrics part is gone and all they're listening to is heavy metal (regardless of the lyrics) and the Devil would jump for joy.

Seriously, it works like that. People, always and forever, try to "look for God" in things that already have Satan's name written all over them. And when they do find 'a hint of God (small or big, whichever)' they'd be happy about it and continue doing that, until the 'hint of God' is tinier than a speck of dust. That's how deception begins.

If people can, however, control their own desire for such music by confining their ears to just Gospel music, then 'heavy metal Christian' is worth listening to -- so long as it's always 'heavy metal Christian' and not expanding to anything else. However, that is not usually the case, so it's recommended to just avoid that kind of music. :wink:

Heavy Metal

God is not concerned about the style of music, but the content and does it exalt and bring glory to God. We go through this with every generation. It does not matter the style of music and God does not care. There are many ungodly hymns and christian songs that sound so great but they are unscriptural. I remember one song, but not the artist that hit the charts a few years ago. He used a scripture out of the book of Job that stated, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. People swooned over the song but it was taken out of context and gave the idea that one minute God gives then the next he takes it away. Not true.

Look at the words, what do they say and does it bring Glory to God.

We mess so many people up trying to force them into some ungodly mold and demand that this is the only music God likes. You ought to go over seas and listen to some of the music people in the bush listen to and use to worship God. I think it sounds like someone strangling a cat, but the people are worshiping God with all their hearts.

Lets let each individual listen to the music they like and not put a label on what type of music we should use to worship God. A country fan may not like head banging music, nor a hard rocker like country sounding music. It just does not matter!

Amen?

Trucker

Just a question,,

When people 'worship' God through Heavy Metal music, do they really 'worship worship' God or is it just yelling nice lyrics?

I mean, whenever I get to see previews of Heavy Metal concerts or Heavy Metal music videos, it's just all yelling. You don't even get to understand the lyrics. The noise drowns out all the meaningfulness of the song. What God wants is a Heart of Worship, not a bunch of good lyrics 'sung' or 'yelled' at Him. Amen?

Then, if the Holy Spirit tells us that songs like that aren't really pleasing to Him, yet we keep insisting it is because 'God ain't concerned with the genre', ''tis okay so long as God's glorified', ''tis okay so long as it's got good lyrics', 'tis okay blablabla'... then are we really trying to please the Lord or are we just pursuing our own interests?

I'm not pushing my own musical tastes onto anyone. I've liked Punk Rock and Heavy Metal before, and I've even tried to worship God with it -- but never have I, even once in my entire life, been able to feel the presence of the Lord with 'worshiping' Him with such music. They were just appealing to the young generation's ears, but were they appealing to God? I wouldn't really know, but I'm seeing that it's all just noise and pure meaninglessness... It'd be better to just recite the songs than to 'sing' them because in that way it would have more meaning.

Think about it. Try worshiping God by Heavy Metal -- with all the yelling, the aggression -- and try to see if it's really what God would be pleased with or are we just insisting on what would please us.

God bless.

:singing:
Good questions Missi and to answer your questions in my perspective: yes, you can worship God with heavy metal music. Why would the God who created the Universe limit His presence to just one type of worship music?

I love heavy metal, I actually listen to it while I'm studying or taking a test in college. My schedule is crazy and in all honesty, sometimes it’s been heavy metal worship music that has kept me awake and focused on the Lord (along with coffee of course). I've heard many people say that it is a distraction but for me it is just the opposite. There has also been a time when the Lord has definitely used it to speak to me; He is not limited to just one type of worship. Keep in mind, of course, that all things must align with truth (His word).

One thought (although definitely just for a debate or interest topic), throughout history man has attempted to construct worship to one set of actions or examples. Is saying that heavy metal music isn't capable of being worship music the same as placing limits on the way people dance in worship? Is it saying that since "that person doesn't sing this way, or dance that way they truly don't worship the Lord?" I’ve seen people dance down hallways, look like ballerinas, stand still in worship, bow to the Lord and even pass out; who am I to say that what they do isn’t worshiping the Lord, or that it isn’t right because it is different than what I do? I've talked to people from all over the world on TJ, if we all wrote how we worship the Lord down and to what music would it all be the same? If we fight an unseen war and angels dance over us what does our worship look like to the Lord? It is beautiful to the one who watches us and knows that our worship is for Him alone.

For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth-John 4:24

And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly garment-2 Samuel 6:14

Praise his name with dancing, accompanied by tambourine and harp. For the Lord delights in his people; he crowns the humble with victory. Let the faithful rejoice that he honors them. Let them sing for joy as they lie on their beds-Psalm 149:3-5

Oh, a question..speaking of the heart of worship. I've researched some scriptures and a few other books outside of the bible. Can someone lead me to a place where it lists the characteristics of "the heart of worship." Or a definition of what God deems likable and unlikable when his Children are in worship? I understand the obvious, we are to worship for God alone and not to impress or entertain those around us. Where is it found in the scriptures that noise or unpleasant loud noise is displeasing to the Lord? I'm still a baby Christian so any direction/correction is welcomed..
:immature:

We mess so many people up trying to force them into some ungodly mold and demand that this is the only music God likes. You ought to go over seas and listen to some of the music people in the bush listen to and use to worship God. I think it sounds like someone strangling a cat, but the people are worshiping God with all their hearts.

Lets let each individual listen to the music they like and not put a label on what type of music we should use to worship God. A country fan may not like head banging music, nor a hard rocker like country sounding music. It just does not matter!

Amen?

AMEN!

I think it sounds like someone strangling a cat, but the people are worshiping God with all their hearts.

Can someone lead me to a place where it lists the characteristics of "the heart of worship."

Read John Ch 4 (especially v23) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Now look at John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

1Pe 2:5 You, as living stones, are being made into a house of the spirit, a holy order of priests, making those offerings of the spirit which are pleasing to God through Jesus Christ.

GNB Php 3:3 ...for we worship God by means of his Spirit and rejoice in our life in union with Christ Jesus. We do not put any trust in external ceremonies.

The heart of worship is simply the heart that is filled to overflowing with the Spirit of God. We are lively stones (or wells I might say), and the only true worship we can offer up to God is the Spirit (living water) He pours into us.

Where is it found in the scriptures that noise or unpleasant loud noise is displeasing to the Lord?

Not one single verse! :shade:

Last edited:
Heavy Metal

Hello Missi, herein lies the problem. Everything you wrote sister is what you experienced. Your experience and others are different. The entire chapter of Romans 14 deals with what the bible calls "Doubtful things". Doubtful things are things not covered directly in the bible, yet deal with personal opinions forced on new believers. What we must do is allow the Holy Spirit to touch peoples heart. If God touches you in one area and tells you you need to change, that does not mean that you now need to correct others around you about things God was dealing with you about.

There is a church here where I live that ministers to the heavy metal crowd, bikers and ex cons. These are rough people. They are growing in the Lord and the church allows them to Grow in Grace. They allow people to change by the power of the Holy Spirit. I am not saying do not challenge people who are doing ungodly things within the body, but music preference is not the top of my list and to be honest, Gods either.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I watched the denominational churches drive the Hippies away because they would not "Conform to the churches Image of God." It dealt with hair, clothes, music, nothing to do with our walk with God or believing on Jesus Christ. It was all flesh and outward appearances. Many young people sang songs that had been changed from Rock and Roll to worship music. Barry McGuire made a song called the Eve of Destruction in the 60's. He then got born again and made a song called Bull Frogs and Butterflies and another one called Space Cowboy. Both songs were taking about being born again and about traveling through life with God beside you, they were awesome. Need I talk about Don Fransico, Keith Green, Stryper and a host of other songs and worship styles. Stryper players ran away from God after they were rejected by the church and these boys (at the time) loved God. These people loved God with all their hearts but religious tradition drove them away. This is the reason we have all the non-denominational churches today.

I want you to look at Psalm 8, 81 and 84. They tell us they were psalms of David set to the tune of a philistine lute or Hittie tune. These were ungodly tunes, but they just changed the words. Sister, we must bring the gospel of Peace to the world, not the gospel of our denominations.

Young people are staying away in crowds due to the judgementalism they see in the church. My number one desire is to see new converts loved on, discipled and taught the true and the living God who now resides in side of them, not a bunch of religious doctrine that deals with the flesh. John 17: 3 tells us the purpose of being born again. To know God and his son Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is the one who changes people.

When I lived in Europe I got the shock of my life. During a men conference through the Protestant Men of the Chapel in Germany, the entire audience was served beer while the preaching went on. I was shocked. These people loved God with all their hearts. Different customs in different countries will set you back. We must be very careful what we impose on others in the name of Jesus.

Please do not read this as if I am angry. Words on a blog are hard to get across because you can not hear voice infliction. I am not mad, but its time for the church to get over petty things like music, hair, clothes and start living under the new Covenant and fully understand what happened at the cross!

There is a church here where I live that ministers to the heavy metal crowd, bikers and ex cons. These are rough people. They are growing in the Lord and the church allows them to Grow in Grace. They allow people to change by the power of the Holy Spirit. I am not saying do not challenge people who are doing ungodly things within the body, but music preference is not the top of my list and to be honest, Gods either.

That was beautiful and made me cry ...and I agree with every single word you said!

It is no exaggeration when I say I have watched literally scores of young people in my time, turned away from the cross, and caused to greatly stumble because they did`nt quite fit the mold of someones criteria or standard for being accepted as a child of God. Its a strange thing to me how Christs so called disciples have so long dared to teach things that Christ never did.

ASV Mat 18:1 In that hour came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
Mat 18:2 And he called to him a little child, and set him in the midst of them,
Mat 18:3 and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye turn, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me:
Mat 18:6 But whoso shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depth of the sea.
Mat 18:7 Woe unto the world because of occasions of stumbling! for it must needs be that the occasions come; but woe to that man through whom the occasion cometh!
Mat 18:8 And if thy hand or thy foot causeth thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast it from thee: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed or halt, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into the eternal fire.
Mat 18:9 And if thine eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is good for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into the hell of fire.
Mat 18:10 See that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven.

My own children are now 25,21, & 20, so I might just be young enough, yet been following Christ long enough to know what i`m talking about.

Its likes i`ve always told my children - if Jesus Christ didnt teach it, dont bother believing it, and I dont care who said it!

Hello Missi, herein lies the problem. Everything you wrote sister is what you experienced. Your experience and others are different. The entire chapter of Romans 14 deals with what the bible calls "Doubtful things". Doubtful things are things not covered directly in the bible, yet deal with personal opinions forced on new believers. What we must do is allow the Holy Spirit to touch peoples heart. If God touches you in one area and tells you you need to change, that does not mean that you now need to correct others around you about things God was dealing with you about.

I'm not trying to correct anybody, I just wanted to know what was really lying underneath people's comments.

They were just appealing to the young generation's ears, but were they appealing to God? I wouldn't really know, but I'm seeing that it's all just noise and pure meaninglessness... It'd be better to just recite the songs than to 'sing' them because in that way it would have more meaning.

I mean, I don't really know. How would I know? I've done a whole lot of mistakes in my life I already got several two-digit numbers below zero percentage of having the right to judge or impose my thoughts on anyone. I just wanted to know if the people who do like the Heavy Metal music are really worshiping the Lord.

I mentioned 'I'm seeing that it's all just noise and pure meaninglessness', because of the following remarks: :wink:

When people 'worship' God through Heavy Metal music, do they really 'worship worship' God or is it just yelling nice lyrics?

I know I've based it on my experience, and to be true -- the Heavy Metal Christian rockers I've come across really did love God, but during the time of worship it was like as if they were looking for talent scouts.

Don't get me wrong -- I am totally for any genre so long as they're totally offered to the Lord when they're proclaimed to be an offering to the Lord.

Haven't you come across a bunch of people in a music ministry that have pushed themselves into that ministry because they wanna be popular with the congregation and not because they wanna worship God? I mean, that happens. It's really sad. I'm not judging anybody (please please please I really have to clarify this), it's just that there are very many 'own agendas' that lie underneath the 'serving God' thing that people are doing -- and those 'own agendas' are totally aren't, in any way, glorifying the Lord -- plus.. those 'own agendas' are getting in the way of other worshipers.

God is not concerned about the style of music, but the content and does it exalt and bring glory to God.

Brother trucker, you've said it yourself. Does it exalt and bring glory to God? When we worship, so as to exalt and glorify God through worship, we must do what John 4:24 said, "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." It's not the style of music I'm really trying to question, it's the point of singing that particular type of music.....

Think about it. Try worshiping God by Heavy Metal -- with all the yelling, the aggression -- and try to see if it's really what God would be pleased with or are we just insisting on what would please us.

.....Why that, why not this? We sing that because it's what suits our ears... We sing that because the people like it and we get popular... And due those 'own agendas' the must-worship-Him-in-spirit-and-truth have been swept clean and away from the sanctuary. That's why I've mentioned the heart of worship concept. It's really okay for me to sing any genre (which is why I sing any genre to the Lord, even Sunday School songs that are pretty funny and have barely any depth but are really beautiful), so long as the worshippers are worshiping God in spirit and in truth. It's not wrong to sing anything else, even... I just asked those questions because there were lots of comments here that pushed the idea of 'Heavy Metal Christian' with proofs that were seemingly to push one's own interests (which, had it not been for those, I would not have made any reply at all :)).

But either way, it's their call. I just wanted to know. Please, please understand that the previous reply I gave was to ask a question, so it's pretty much that I just really, really wanted to know -- it wasn't to judge anybody.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I watched the denominational churches drive the Hippies away because they would not "Conform to the churches Image of God." It dealt with hair, clothes, music, nothing to do with our walk with God or believing on Jesus Christ. It was all flesh and outward appearances. Many young people sang songs that had been changed from Rock and Roll to worship music. Barry McGuire made a song called the Eve of Destruction in the 60's. He then got born again and made a song called Bull Frogs and Butterflies and another one called Space Cowboy. Both songs were taking about being born again and about traveling through life with God beside you, they were awesome. Need I talk about Don Fransico, Keith Green, Stryper and a host of other songs and worship styles. Stryper players ran away from God after they were rejected by the church and these boys (at the time) loved God. These people loved God with all their hearts but religious tradition drove them away. This is the reason we have all the non-denominational churches today.

I want you to look at Psalm 8, 81 and 84. They tell us they were psalms of David set to the tune of a philistine lute or Hittie tune. These were ungodly tunes, but they just changed the words. Sister, we must bring the gospel of Peace to the world, not the gospel of our denominations.

Young people are staying away in crowds due to the judgementalism they see in the church. My number one desire is to see new converts loved on, discipled and taught the true and the living God who now resides in side of them, not a bunch of religious doctrine that deals with the flesh. John 17: 3 tells us the purpose of being born again. To know God and his son Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is the one who changes people.

When I lived in Europe I got the shock of my life. During a men conference through the Protestant Men of the Chapel in Germany, the entire audience was served beer while the preaching went on. I was shocked. These people loved God with all their hearts. Different customs in different countries will set you back. We must be very careful what we impose on others in the name of Jesus.

Please do not read this as if I am angry. Words on a blog are hard to get across because you can not hear voice infliction. I am not mad, but its time for the church to get over petty things like music, hair, clothes and start living under the new Covenant and fully understand what happened at the cross!
Amen x 10.
Like the great Apostle once said:
1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

What Paul is saying is that he is willing to reach people where they are for Christ, we should do likewise.

Just a thought : I am not even sure God is listening to the music so much as just enjoying the heart of the worshippers. I often liken worship to pouring two wines in one glass. We pour out our love and He responds by pouring out His; this is communion with God.

Heavy Metal

All great posts. I agree missi, there are people in all walks of the church life that are using their talents to promote self rather than worship God. You can pick them out very quickly buy the fruits they are bearing.

I fully desire to see the body of Christ universal preach the pure message of Christ. Jesus reached out to every person in society and his number one goal was to bring them into relationship with the Father. All we do through worship, prayer, teaching, ministering one on one, should be done to glorify God. Reading these post is very encouraging because that message is coming through loud and clear!

God bless you all,

Trucker

For some people, including myself, Christian metal is a way to entertain yourself without filling your mind with the evils of the world. Non-Christian bands usually leave sinful lyrics or thoughts in your mind. Christian metal NEVER claims to be worship music, so people shouldn't think of it as worship music. I listen to Christian rock or metal for entertainment, but one should never JUST listen to metal. I also often listen to more peaceful worship music. Some people who are against Christian metal don't like it because they think it's just yelling...that's because it's not their style, and we shouldn't judge others on the genre of music they listen to as long as the lyrics are not the kind to tear down. :) And contrary to what some think, Christian metal never makes me feal angry or aggresive. It makes me feel active and excited. We should judge music by if the lyrics are appropriate or not, but do not forsake the more peaceful music to worship the Lord our God. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.