• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

is having a tattoo ok?

I love tattoos. Is it okay or wrong as a christian to possess one even one of the cross or a scripture?

Staff Member
You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:28

You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:28

A C T U A L L Y

FUN FACT!

The reason why God prohibited the Israelites was not because He was against tattoos in itself, but because of the neighboring tribe’s practice of tattooing the dead and their gods on their bodies as a form of pagan worship. This was God’s way of separating the Israelites from the other lagoon nations and to raise them up to be His chosen people.

Also, a quick word of advise: I usually stay clear from the Old Testament when people ask me things like this becuase, well, people could very easily respond with something like this:

“‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
Leviticus 19:27

To which people would very quickly accuse you of cherry picking verses in the Bible.

Personally, I have as much of an issue with tattoos as much as God has an issue with modern men clipping their beards.

Thats what am worried about. Sometimes old testaments rules confuses me.

personally, I think it’s fine as long as the tattoo in itself isn’t blasphemous or promiscuous (like a tat of a half naked woman or a middle finger).
there are those who tattoo crosses or verses on themselves, and that’s fine.
there are others who tattoo their wives on their arms, and that’s also fine.
Tattoos are a way of expressing ourselves, the same way that we use clothing, earrings, and makeup, and I see no reason, biblical or logical, to prohibit that.

Active
I love tattoos. Is it okay or wrong as a christian to possess one even one of the cross or a scripture?
Hello i love the art.of tatoos and i have a few when i was a new christian but i do regret them even though.they God themed. i believe we should not alter or mark our God created bodys no need i would deffo have mine removed but expensive so id look to removable ways to have body art be creative loads of ideas on google now fake it and then wash it off. much less money pain and effort and regret of having tattoos hope this helps as what we like when we twenty changes when over forty lol so be wise dont bother AMEN

Active
i really dont believe we should tattoo ourselves its not like jewelery we can take off for consceince sake i would never advse have one as i live with a reminder myself of tattoos and as you age expecially a woman of God can end up looking well not so good x

Loyal

Leviticus 19:28 (NKJV)
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28 (KJV)
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

The words translated as tattoo marks (kĕtōbet qa‘ăqaʾ) occur only here. Although their precise meaning is unclear, the first word is related to ‘writing’ or ‘marking’, and the context supports some sort of marking on the flesh (either tattooing or perhaps painting). It is not clear whether this is connected with mourning rites or is simply another pagan custom that involves putting marks on the body; in either case, it is probably prohibited for the same reasons as the preceding practices.

Tattoos today—at least in Western cultures—do not have the same pagan associations as they did in ancient Israel, so believers are no longer prohibited from getting them (just as they are no longer prohibited from various hair or beard styles, v. 27).

Other quite separate questions might include: ‘Is it wise to get a tattoo?’ and ‘What does it mean to do so wisely?’
Tyndale Commentaries - Leviticus.

The question you should ask I believe is not the tatoo but do you want to deface the body God has given you?

Lets look at some New Testiment quotes...

Romans 8:5 (KJV)
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:20 (KJV)
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (KJV)
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NKJV)
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Therefore pray and read the scriptures and pray again.

As for me, I couldn't deface the body God has given me, the body which is not my own as a saved believer. I couldn't deliberately choose to deface the Temple of God or the vessel it abides in.

Tattoos are popular in the age we live, we see them on stars, celebrities, sports players, but does this not influence us, yes it does. But is it right in God's eyes, I think not, there is enough in scripture, without Leviticus, to make me feel it is wrong to deface the body which belongs to God.

Tattoos are a flesh thing, no matter what the image is they are still a tattoo, do tattoos bring glory to God, some may say it is art the images are good, maybe so, but they bring glory to flesh not God. You see a person tattoo you maybe say, I like that, it is cool, etc. Your mate says thank you, I like it too. Is that bringing glory to God? It is an image, imprinted INTO your flesh, for you to show off, or others to view. Does that bring glory to God? I don't think so but you my friend must decide.

May the Lord Bless your heart, you want to be right with God, you are looking at worldly things, then looking for scripture to confirm if it is right.

Bless you.

Loyal
do tattoos bring glory to God, some may say it is art the images are good, maybe so, but they bring glory to flesh not God.

I agree it is a vanity thing. You can't improve on something God has made. You are already as beautiful as you can be. Any other marks or paintings on your body
can only take away from that beauty. Also most tattoos have nothing to do with God or Jesus. Some are profane, it is a hard thing to repent of. The tattoos are difficult
to get rid of. Is there grace for this? I believe there is. But I think if after you are saved you keep "adding on" (improving on God's work) you are pushing it.

Loyal
I agree it is a vanity thing. You can't improve on something God has made. You are already as beautiful as you can be. Any other marks or paintings on your body
can only take away from that beauty.

Most tattoos nowadays are fashion statements.

Also most tattoos have nothing to do with God or Jesus. Some are profane, it is a hard thing to repent of. The tattoos are difficult
to get rid of. Is there grace for this? I believe there is. But I think if after you are saved you keep "adding on" (improving on God's work) you are pushing it.

Greetings brother,

If a person is a none believer, and they have a tattoo before they come to Jesus and be saved, all their past sins are washed away and remembered no more.

If a person has a tattoo after being saved, they have to know they are defacing the vessel of the Holy Spirit, defacing their flesh body which belongs to God.

The question then I believe is, did the saved soul have a tattoo knowing the above scriptures? Or did the person have the tattoo not knowing the above scriptures. That said one would think a believer knows, the Temple of God is in them in spirit.

Sins are forgiven if repented from the heart, but with something like a tattoo, as many have said, they are visible items that remain with them all their earthly life.

Regarding your last statement brother, the more tattoos a person has, the more times that person may have repented but then had another, is coming into the realms of repetitive sins.

What are your comments brother?

Shalom