• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

How important is it to know the word?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:16)

Sometimes whenever I hear the topic of the word, I am stuck by the opinions believers give me. I think some believers would assume that attending Sunday church is the word and you already have the word in you, but I'm conflicted when people say that the words you need to speak will just come up when you need them. I want to be a good example as a Christian, but it feels like I am struggling to explain questions my friends have.

Sometimes whenever I hear the topic of the word, I am stuck by the opinions believers give me. I think some believers would assume that attending Sunday church is the word and you already have the word in you, but I'm conflicted when people say that the words you need to speak will just come up when you need them. I want to be a good example as a Christian, but it feels like I am struggling to explain questions my friends have.
I believe that in order to have the word in us, we must constantly feast on it, by hearing, and/or reading it. The Bible says that man shall not live on bread alone, but by every word out of the mouth of God. If we have the Holy Spirit in us, and (I assume) have enough of his word in us, then the Holy Spirit will give us the right words to say. I believe we should be baptised with water, and baptised with the Holy Spirit.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
I recall what my wife said one time to me, what a woman said at church when I was not there. She told my wife, don't he want to come to church to hear from God? My reply to my wife: "what do she think I been doing all week"! Like i can hear from God or hear better from a second or third party. These people are christians saying things like that. And then you ask them, do they have a personal relationship with GOD, they say yes. And they always got to go to another person for answers. meaning not fellowship but for answers to their problems. But they have a personal relationship with Jesus and say "They Know HIM"
and they are serious. And they go to the UnGodly for answers. And you better not say anything. And most do not know what a ungodly person is.

I believe that in order to have the word in us, we must constantly feast on it, by hearing, and/or reading it. The Bible says that man shall not live on bread alone, but by every word out of the mouth of God. If we have the Holy Spirit in us, and (I assume) have enough of his word in us, then the Holy Spirit will give us the right words to say. I believe we should be baptised with water, and baptised with the Holy Spirit.
The Word teaches us to love, and to do so deeply.

Bless you.

Loyal
the word is the bread of life and man can live with out it. We as beleivers need to be in the word every day, when you are at your best to give it full attention, The word is alive and has the power to change lives, very important to get daily servings of the word in order to stay renewed

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

I've struggled with remembering verses, and this thread brought to mind the blue letter bible website where you can listen to the audio of different versions at the same time as reading.

I'm not sure if I can post links yet.

Well, I believe that we need to first have a personal revelation from God about His word. That means that a believer must constantly feed himself with the word by reading it and meditating on it. Obviously in order for a person to be able to receive this revelation, he needs to have repented and to be born again.
The word of God however is precious and it doesn't always come in an easy way. Sometimes it is not just by hearing something or just opening the Bible, but by living an experience or even a difficult situation and then hearing the word by someone or opening the Bible.
We are speaking about the living God, the one who is involved in each our situation.

There is a verse in Isaiah 55:10,11 saying:
"For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."

We see how God describes His word here. He says that it is as a rain and as a snow and that it waters the earth. This earth and this ground that it speaks about is our heart. And it needs to be watered by the revelation of His word.
Sometimes it happens that as soon as we read or hear the word, it waters our heart, but other times the word comes to us as a snow, meaning that it will take time until it melts and then waters the ground.
Sometimes we need to keep the word in us after receiving it, even without understanding it and then with time the revelation speaking to our own life will come.
We also need to give answers to the others according to what we have received or understood from God. Sometimes we can receive more and sometimes less, but we always need to persevere on reading and feeding ourselves with the word.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
I've struggled with remembering verses, and this thread brought to mind the blue letter bible website where you can listen to the audio of different versions at the same time as reading.

I'm not sure if I can post links yet.
I remember when i first came to Christ "Born of God" it was after the Beginning of the "DATA Processing" era. I was studying in "Computer Processsing" before Colleges and universities had courses in any kind of "Computer Processing of data processing" I went to one of the 1st "Computer Processing Insititutes" a Product of "Ross Perot", The EDS era. Before a Computer could operate, it had to a have programing language to operate the Computer it self. It had to have a "Mathematical program' for the hardware to learn it to read a Mathematics software program. Then a "business program" for the hardware that could read a "Business software". and that still was not enough. When all these things are complete. Now all the Information has to be "Input in to a form of "data" then that "DATA had to be process" Into a "Data Processing Machine" and the hardware program language had to read that, all done by hand typing" 'one letter at a time'. into "punch cards". Why am I saying this! Because it has a "Biblical Significance" and It help me into my "biblical concept of studying" the Bible in the Late 70's.

I had to learn the "Computer Languages" "COBOL", "FORTRAN", "PASCAL". I had to learn to write it. The Hardware languages that speaks to the "Software" Languages". That speaks to the "DATA Input". "If DATA has not been put into the "Software" No data comes Out! Same as it was yesterday same as it is "Today" with "computers" just the "Hardware is a Lot smaller"

So it is with the "WORD of God", If the data has not been put in you, meaning the "Words of THE Bible how it is written there in us, It Cannot come Out of Us!
"The data must Be Correct". And how it is put in You! That is how it comes out! If it is put in you "rightly" it will come out Rightly! If it has been but in you by "reading or hearing it incorrectly" That "data" has been "Corrupted"! "Corrupted in Corrupted out". And if "The DATA has never been read in you it can never come out and brought to your attention like it should be. "and "GOD's Word is "Repetitious" for us. "Happy is the man that meditates in His Word night and DAy" "Money and success does not bring "Happiness" True Happiness comes from "Meditating in God's Word Night and day" The whole BOOK!

In Theological terms: "If there is no "Implosion of God's Word in you, there cannot be a Explosion out of you" "[Dynamite].
That is why The Holy Scriptures in ancient times was always "Read" to the People or "Congregation" in the OT and The NT era. It was Read. They did not have to expound it, The Leaders READ. Moses READ, The Kings in the OT had them read the Scriptures. In the New testament writers told them to read the Letters to the congregation. they did not have to expound or water down the Letters. God gave HIS children Understanding by The "Holy Spirit". Learned Leaders who Read, read them The Scriptues and Letters. God gives the understand. God spoke unto His people words they understood. Every Word Jesus spoke HE said came from the Father. Everyword that came out of Jesus mouth and how it was said is the way GOD the Father told Him to do it. Are we above :The Master' the slave is not above The Master. There are so many 'parables' to confirm this. The slave does not chose their own "Words" of expressing God's truth.
He has been called unto "Obedience"! I think we all have been guilty of this crime through our ignorance. by corrupted "teachers"!

New Living Translation
"But if I say I’ll never mention the LORD or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!" (Jeremiah 20:9)

Then you will remember what GOD wants you to remember at the right time! You will hear His voice. That Voice is the "Written Word of GOD" That is in you.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance, whatsoever I shall have said to you. " I lot of people only remember what their church has told them, and a lot of the "Word" has come out of them corrupted"

And many on "TalkJesus" can testifly to that. "If the blind follows the blind, they both will fall in to the ditch"

Let your prayer be simple: "LORD", Give me the strength and The Love to read your "WORD" from Front to back, Genesis to Revelation" and let it grow "RICH" in me in The name of Jesus"!. and be my 1st Love.

I hope this has help someone and has not harm anyone ,in growing in The Wisdom of GOD.:pensive:

Last edited:
I remember when i first came to Christ "Born of God" it was after the Beginning of the "DATA Processing" era. I was studying in "Computer Processsing" before Colleges and universities had courses in any kind of "Computer Processing of data processing" I went to one of the 1st "Computer Processing Insititutes" a Product of "Ross Perot", The EDS era. Before a Computer could operate, it had to a have programing language to operate the Computer it self. It had to have a "Mathematical program' for the hardware to learn it to read a Mathematics software program. Then a "business program" for the hardware that could read a "Business software". and that still was not enough. When all these things are complete. Now all the Information has to be "Input in to a form of "data" then that "DATA had to be process" Into a "Data Processing Machine" and the hardware program language had to read that, all done by hand typing" 'one letter at a time'. into "punch cards". Why am I saying this! Because it has a "Biblical Significance" and It help me into my "biblical concept of studying" the Bible in the Late 70's.

I had to learn the "Computer Languages" "COBOL", "FORTRAN", "PASCAL". I had to learn to write it. The Hardware languages that speaks to the "Software" Languages". That speaks to the "DATA Input". "If DATA has not been put into the "Software" No data comes Out! Same as it was yesterday same as it is "Today" with "computers" just the "Hardware is a Lot smaller"

So it is with the "WORD of God", If the data has not been put in you, meaning the "Words of THE Bible how it is written there in us, It Cannot come Out of Us!
"The data must Be Correct". And how it is put in You! That is how it comes out! If it is put in you "rightly" it will come out Rightly! If it has been but in you by "reading or hearing it incorrectly" That "data" has been "Corrupted"! "Corrupted in Corrupted out". And if "The DATA has never been read in you it can never come out and brought to your attention like it should be. "and "GOD's Word is "Repetitious" for us. "Happy is the man that meditates in His Word night and DAy" "Money and success does not bring "Happiness" True Happiness comes from "Meditating in God's Word Night and day" The whole BOOK!

In Theological terms: "If there is no "Implosion of God's Word in you, there cannot be a Explosion out of you" "[Dynamite].
That is why The Holy Scriptures in ancient times was always "Read" to the People or "Congregation" in the OT and The NT era. It was Read. They did not have to expound it, The Leaders READ. Moses READ, The Kings in the OT had them read the Scriptures. In the New testament writers told them to read the Letters to the congregation. they did not have to expound or water down the Letters. God gave HIS children Understanding by The "Holy Spirit". Learned Leaders who Read, read them The Scriptues and Letters. God gives the understand. God spoke unto His people words they understood. Every Word Jesus spoke HE said came from the Father. Everyword that came out of Jesus mouth and how it was said is the way GOD the Father told Him to do it. Are we above :The Master' the slave is not above The Master. There are so many 'parables' to confirm this. The slave does not chose their own "Words" of expressing God's truth.
He has been called unto "Obedience"! I think we all have been guilty of this crime through our ignorance. by corrupted "teachers"!

New Living Translation
"But if I say I’ll never mention the LORD or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!" (Jeremiah 20:9)

Then you will remember what GOD wants you to remember at the right time! You will hear His voice. That Voice is the "Written Word of GOD" That is in you.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance, whatsoever I shall have said to you. " I lot of people only remember what their church has told them, and a lot of the "Word" has come out of them corrupted"

And many on "TalkJesus" can testifly to that. "If the blind follows the blind, they both will fall in to the ditch"

Let your prayer be simple: "LORD", Give me the strength and The Love to read your "WORD" from Front to back, Genesis to Revelation" and let it grow "RICH" in me in The name of Jesus"!. and be my 1st Love.

I hope this has help someone and has not harm anyone ,in growing in The Wisdom of GOD.:pensive:
A big THANK YOU for taking the time to respond in such detail.
I'm grateful for this being said. I realise I need to be willing to devote more time to studying scripture.

God bless.

What does The WORD we're given teach us?

What happens when a person repents of their inequity, except they turn from their unprincipled ways to those ways that are good?

PRINCIPLED:
moral
ethical
good
virtuous
righteous
upright
upstanding
high-minded
right-minded
proper
correct
honorable
honest
just
noble
incorruptible
anti-corruption
scrupulous
conscientious
respectable
decent

Thanks be to God and our Lord for the life and the many blessings we've received. Amen.