• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

How do I respond to my parents?

I want to ask a bit of advice. I love my parents. I know they are not perfect. Both of them are christians. But oftentimes, because of work or of their expectations they get angry and I get discouraged. I understand them tho :smile: but it always happens and I'm always the one to say sorry. Do I just keep forgiving? I think somehow they've become "idols" in my life because I sin/rebel whenever this happens or when I get really discouraged.... Hm and what if they have expectations i can't reach? thank u..

Loyal
Yes, repeated forgiveness is part of the way of Jesus Christ. Again and again and again.

But that doesn't mean that you are not to address difficulties. What would be the best way for you to talk to your parents about the way their expectations are affecting you? Respectfully, honestly and with love.

Staff Member
I want to ask a bit of advice. I love my parents. I know they are not perfect. Both of them are christians. But oftentimes, because of work or of their expectations they get angry and I get discouraged. I understand them tho :smile: but it always happens and I'm always the one to say sorry. Do I just keep forgiving? I think somehow they've become "idols" in my life because I sin/rebel whenever this happens or when I get really discouraged.... Hm and what if they have expectations i can't reach? thank u..

Greetings,

I shall pray for you and your family.

Do try to not be angry or discouraged even if it is hard not to. If nothing else, God is able to help you and build you up as well as comfort you, in and through this time of your life.
If you do get upset please don't then see yourself as bad.

Keep loving your parents. Love the Lord Jesus Christ
He is faithful and invites you to give Him your burdens and to take His.

Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

Casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.

1Peter 5:7

Bless you ....><>

Loyal

Greetings in Jesus Name.

I join in prayer for you, and for your family. No family is perfect @Cookieyellow so do not let your heart be troubled.

You ask how many times you should forgive...

Matthew 18:21-22 (NKJV)
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Seven is a special number in scripture, Seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual). It derives much of its meaning from being tied directly to God's creation of all things.

The number seven is used 735 times, 54 times in the book of Revelation alone, the number 7 is the foundation of God's word. Therefore we are to forgive, forgive, forgive.

You say your parents are Christians, are the Christian by name, Christian by church goers, Christians who have repented and accepted Jesus into their hearts, and are Born Again? Only the latter is a true Christian.

Do not let it get you down, pray for them, let your gentleness and love be known and seen by them.

Philippians 4:4-7 (NKJV)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Peace be with you \o/

Staff Member
Greetings @Cookieyellow

I see that you are 24 and therefore an adult.

As others have said you should forgive and honour your parents....that is what the Bible tells us.

However, it does sound like you are a little stuck in "young child" mode around your parents.

Seeking the Lord in prayer first......ask the Lord to lead you in talking to your mother and father about how you feel.
They are Christians so pray together about the situation and move forward together in His love and peace.

And

PRAISE THE LORD!!

You are so blessed to have Christian parents.
Love them and thank the Lord for them daily.

But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

Active
what if they have expectations i can't reach?

Hi @Cookieyellow you are blessed to have a parents :)

If you get discouraged of their expectations, try to talk to both of them and open up to them, i am sure they will understand :) like us to GOD thousands times we fail but God’s mercy still remains, same too with your parents because they are God’s gift to you.

But first let your supplications be known to God and the God of peace will give you understanding why your parents acted that way ( sometimes too we just need to widen our understanding why they acted that way- environments, work can do really gives a lot of stress and pressure and talking to them and letting them know how they are really can do great help! )

You are on the right forum to ask for advice, a lot of parents who has the wisdom from God are here :)

People who become angry, are people who can't deal with thing's in the right manner. In the future whenever you get angry, just understanding that you need to deal with the situation the best way possible. Or you'll only continue to cope from one day to the next being angry.

Active
Greetings @Cookieyellow

I see that you are 24 and therefore an adult.

As others have said you should forgive and honour your parents....that is what the Bible tells us.

However, it does sound like you are a little stuck in "young child" mode around your parents.
That's a good one.
Are you still living with them?
My dad would get angry a lot. I had to study, study, study, study. If I relaxed for an hour: What are you hanging around? Go study!
My sister and I left the house with 18 to go live in a students' home, just rent a cheap room, so you don't have this the whole day through. Then it's a lot easier to deal with.
I had to stay with my parents for a week when I was 40 and just divorced. My dad was afraid that I would lose my job if I stayed up too late. Was on the computer til 2 at night, he came downstairs and got angry. I felt like a 16 y o again. But I just forgave him and I could hug him. Parents who want to treat you like a 2 y o are really worried and caring. It comes from a good heart.