• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Getting Into Leviticus

Staff Member
The Lord called Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel…” Leviticus 1:1-2 ESV

Today’s Old Testament Bible reading explains what happened next after the Lord’s glory filled the newly constructed tabernacle. This third book of the Bible answers the tough question, “Since the Lord is so holy, what must I do to worship Him properly?”

Unlike the first two books of Moses, Leviticus contains only a handful of narrative accounts. It’s primarily a handbook the Israelites used to know how best to worship the Lord.

In Chapters 1-27, it’s easy to see that sacrifices played a very important role in Old Testament worship, as did festivals. In fact, the Lord instructed Israelite families to celebrate at least three festivals each year. These festivals served as tangible reminders of the Lord’s covenant with the Israelites.

Many aspects of the Levitical system of worship illustrate one’s need of God’s cleansing and forgiveness. Several key aspects clearly foreshadow the saving work of the promised Savior.

Famous passages in Leviticus include:

Instructions about various sacrifices (1:1 - 7:38)

Moses consecrates Aaron and his sons (8:1 – 9:24)

“Be holy because I am holy” (11:44-45, 19:2, 20:7, 20:26, 21:8)

Instructions about sexual purity (18:6-23)

“Love your neighbor as yourself” (19:18, 19:34)

The year of jubilee (25:8-55)

Prayer: Lord, transform me. Give me a new vision of Your holiness. Thank You so very much for clothing me in Christ’s robes of righteousness.