• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Faith

Administrator
Staff Member
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT FAITH

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." Hebrews 11:1-3

The above verse states very plainly that faith is a reality, something that gives "substance" to things before they become visible to the natural eye. 2 Corinthians 5:7 declares that we walk by faith, not by sight. When we are "born again" we are given spiritual eyes to see things and understand things that otherwise we could not discern without the Holy Spirit. When we are submitted to the Lord, He then begins to guide and lead us by His Spirit; we follow Him in faith knowing He will not disappoint us or lead us astray. We must learn to obey Him even when we do not see or understand how He is leading.

The Word of God states that "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23b). Some people refer to the expression "blind faith," but our faith is not a blind faith; it is faith in a very real person, Jesus Christ. We were blind before our eyes were opened to His love and forgiveness, but now we see Him and a new life and world belong to us.

Romans 12:3b says, "God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." We are then to allow the Holy Spirit to move in our lives so that our faith might grow in Him. For faith to grow and for God to honor our faith there are several principles we must follow in the Word of God since faith alone cannot produce our prayer answers.

Romans 10:17 says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." We must know the Word of God for our faith to increase. Many times, we take only a portion of His Word and quote it and expect answers, when we must learn other portions that work along with the portion we are quoting. An example would be if we do pray a prayer of faith, yet do not obey God, our faith would be in vain.

Let's look at Hebrews 11:4 for an example of this: "By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of His gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh." Why was God pleased with Abel and not with Cain? Cain's heart was not right before God, thus his works were evil therefore his offering was rejected. "Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous" (I John 3:12). Today, many people are doing the same thing, yet expecting God to honor their faith.

God wants you and me to be faith men and women, so that we can have good success in all that we do. Joshua 1:8 says, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." We can see by this verse that we cannot please God unless we walk by faith. The dictionary defines faith as (1) unquestioning belief, especially in God (2) complete trust or confidence (3) loyalty.

In looking at these definitions, we can take a test and see if we really are trusting God with our lives. Test question number one: Do we rebelliously question what God is doing in our lives? Do we ask God such questions as, "Lord, when are you going to do this thing in my life? How much longer am I going to have to wait for my answer? Why haven't you answered my prayers, God?" All of these questions, if posed rebelliously, are just the opposite of faith as they gender doubt and are questioning what God is doing in our lives. Also, we are referring to people in this test who have made a total commitment to God and are trying to walk in His will. If we have not surrendered to God, there are things that happen to us that are not His fault because we are in the devil's territory. The Lord does not mind us asking any question as long as we are asking it with a submissive attitude and not questioning His goodness.

Test question number two: Do we completely trust God and have our confidence in Him to the degree that when we don't see our answer right away, we wait patiently instead of taking the matter into our own hands and doing it our own way? Do we have confidence in the Lord that He has everything under control, or do we worry and fret and let anxiety rob us of our day? If we trusted Him, we would believe His Word and not doubt His promises.

Test question number three: What about loyalty? Are we loyal to Him? We act sometimes as if God were against us instead of for us. For instance, when we have prayed and asked God for an answer to our prayers but have not received that answer yet, do we begin listening to the devil as he whispers these words to us, "God hasn't answered your prayers; He doesn't really care for you. You know God has all power in heaven and earth so why doesn't He answer your prayers?" Instead of our being loyal and defending the Father, we end up many times agreeing with the devil by turning to God and saying, "Yes, God, why haven't You answered my prayers?" Our devotion to the Lord should be one of defending the heavenly Father with a statement to the enemy like this, "Satan, I don't know why God hasn't answered my prayers yet, but I do know one thing; He loves me and my answers are on the way. If anybody is hindering my answers, it's you, not my precious Father."

Real faith has all the above qualities of total confidence in God, and complete trust and unquestioning loyalty. Do we really have faith in God? In discussing faith we need to point out that it is not the quantity of faith that will accomplish the overcoming in our lives, but rather the quality. "...for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you" (Matthew 17:20). It is not the amount of faith we have but who our faith is centered in. Jesus is faith.

If we feel we do not have sufficient faith to remove our "mountain of difficulty," we can always ask the Lord for the "gift of faith." This gift is one of the provisions for those who are baptized with the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:9). The Lord did not leave us without the tools to overcome our lack of faith. We can simply ask God to give us the gift of faith we need for whatever problem we might have. As we are faithful to exercise our "measure of faith" that has been given to each of us, our faith will grow. Then we can believe God for greater things even without the gift of faith. However, if we need the gift, we can ask and the Lord will supply if our hearts are right.

Faith is not only a gift, but also a fruit of the Holy Spirit plus a part of our Christian armour; so we see the importance of it in our Christian walk (Galatians 5:22). May we be spoken of as were the Christians at Thessalonica, "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure" (II Thessalonians 1:3-4). Faith will carry us through every trial and tribulation. Faith is really not that difficult. God made it easy. In essence, faith is just taking one more step with Jesus; it's believing God for one more hour, and because we do not give up on God, He comes through with our answers when we trust Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.. I just wanted to add a couple of other things that could help in a fast hope it helps...and God bless.
When Ye Fast
By Joy Haney

There are many different types of fasts. The scripture shares some of these with us:
1.Moses (Exodus 34:28)
2.Elijah (I Kings 19:8)
3.Jesus (Matthew 4)
4.Ezra (Ezra 8:21-23)
5. Nehemiah ( Nehemiah (9:1)
6.Esther (Esther4)
7.Ninevah (Jonah 3:5-10)
8.Daniel ( Daniel 1:9, 10)

Most of the Old Testament Fasts were three days were three days without food or water. Elijah, Moses and Jesus went on forty day fast and were strengthened by the Lord. Daniel went on lengthy fasts consisting of ten days and twenty-one days.

Let me interject one thing. Fasting is not intended to put a guilt trip on you. If you accidently eat something and then remember you are fasting, do not feel discouraged. Just keep on fasting; do not give it up. If at times you feel so weak ypu can hardly move, maybe you should eat some raisins, nuts, honey, or something totally heathy. Just make sure it is a small amount for strength and then keep fasting. ( Of course, this depends upon the length of the fast. If you are further into an extended fast, fruit would be best.)

You are not Fasting for ego purpose or to impress others. You are only doing this unto the LORD. Do not feel guilty for your humanness. Just keep at it. It works! Below, are listed eight types of fasts:

Type I-No food or water
This is not advised for long periods because of the toxins in the body that are released when fasting. They need to be flushed out. Note that all these types of fasts were never over three days except the three who were given supernatural power to strengthen them. It is advisable to drink water because of modern day pollution and preservatives in the body. They need to be flushed out.

Type II-Water only

Type III Three day, water, honey, and lemon
This is considered a cleansing fast. Squeeze juice of ½ a lemon in a cup of hot water and add honey to taste, Drink throughout the day. This can also be used for an extended fast.
Type IV-Juice fast
this is self explanatory. No food, only juice. No coffee, soft drinks, etc. Fruit juice should not be mixed with vegetable juices. Fresh carrot juice is excellent.

Type V-Combination fast
this is simply juice with an addition of hot herbal tea with honey. A good way yo do this is to fast three days with water only, then go to juices and teas (herbal, no caffeine).

TypeVI-Daniel’s ten-day fast
Pulse and water only. Around the year 606 B.C., King Nebuchadnezzer selected young men of royal family of Judah to be taught the Chaldean culture and language. They were instructed to eat the King’s meat and drink his wine , but Daniel purposed not to:
“Prove thy servant ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink” (Daniel 1:2)
Most likely the pulse Daniel ate included grains, lentils and basic vegetables. At the end of this ten day fast the Bible says they looked healthier then those who feasted on the King’s meats.
A lady in our church fasted thirty days. She ate one bowl of grains a day along with a vitamin supplement and grape juice. She said she never felt better; she also had a marvelous spiritual experience.

Type VII -Daniels 21-day fast (Daniel 10:32-23)
It appears that Daniel ate no breads, desserts, juices or meat. There is no mention of fruits or vegetables, so some feel that he partook of this foods, There have been those that have fasted this fast and it has been beneficial.

Type VIII -Water for three days then broth for strength on the fourth day. Then drink water again for the next two days, and the broth.

There are some other things that need to be considered when beginning a fast. The cleaner your system, the less discomforts you will experience, such as headaches, due to the fact that there are less toxins at work in the body. Right before fasting it is advisable to cleanse the colon by aloe, enemas or herbal cleansers. The colon is considered to be the cesspool of the body. So the less waste that is stored in the body when begining a fast, the less toxins will be released by the body.
You should also rest if you feel weak, and try to get a lot of fresh air every day. Fasting is a time of cleansing your spiritual as well as your physical man, so as you spiritually bathe you should also bathe the body. Lungs skin pores, nose, mouth, bowels and urinary tract are the organs used to rid the body of harmful substances, toxins and mucus; therefore, it is essential that you slough off the poisons physically.
Breaking the fast is important also, when you fast you feel so clean; you determine not to put any junk into your body again. Of course, most people do. You should come off the fast on grape juice, gradually eating fruit and steamed vegetables, adding other foods in a day or two. There should be no heavy gorging at the end of a fast, but light eating of salads etc. I know one young person that came off a fast on pizza and had terrible stomach cramps. This was unwise. Just use a little common sense and keep your body and mind operating at optimum performance.

God Bless!

Chad said:
[center:785c3c7f70]WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT FAITH?[/center:785c3c7f70]

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." Hebrews 11:1-3

The above verse states very plainly that faith is a reality, something that gives "substance" to things before they become visible to the natural eye. 2 Corinthians 5:7 declares that we walk by faith, not by sight. When we are "born again" we are given spiritual eyes to see things and understand things that otherwise we could not discern without the Holy Spirit. When we are submitted to the Lord, He then begins to guide and lead us by His Spirit; we follow Him in faith knowing He will not disappoint us or lead us astray. We must learn to obey Him even when we do not see or understand how He is leading.

The Word of God states that "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23b). Some people refer to the expression "blind faith," but our faith is not a blind faith; it is faith in a very real person, Jesus Christ. We were blind before our eyes were opened to His love and forgiveness, but now we see Him and a new life and world belong to us.

Romans 12:3b says, "God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." We are then to allow the Holy Spirit to move in our lives so that our faith might grow in Him. For faith to grow and for God to honor our faith there are several principles we must follow in the Word of God since faith alone cannot produce our prayer answers.

Romans 10:17 says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." We must know the Word of God for our faith to increase. Many times, we take only a portion of His Word and quote it and expect answers, when we must learn other portions that work along with the portion we are quoting. An example would be if we do pray a prayer of faith, yet do not obey God, our faith would be in vain.

Let's look at Hebrews 11:4 for an example of this: "By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of His gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh." Why was God pleased with Abel and not with Cain? Cain's heart was not right before God, thus his works were evil therefore his offering was rejected. "Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous" (I John 3:12). Today, many people are doing the same thing, yet expecting God to honor their faith.

God wants you and me to be faith men and women, so that we can have good success in all that we do. Joshua 1:8 says, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." We can see by this verse that we cannot please God unless we walk by faith. The dictionary defines faith as (1) unquestioning belief, especially in God (2) complete trust or confidence (3) loyalty.

In looking at these definitions, we can take a test and see if we really are trusting God with our lives. Test question number one: Do we rebelliously question what God is doing in our lives? Do we ask God such questions as, "Lord, when are you going to do this thing in my life? How much longer am I going to have to wait for my answer? Why haven't you answered my prayers, God?" All of these questions, if posed rebelliously, are just the opposite of faith as they gender doubt and are questioning what God is doing in our lives. Also, we are referring to people in this test who have made a total commitment to God and are trying to walk in His will. If we have not surrendered to God, there are things that happen to us that are not His fault because we are in the devil's territory. The Lord does not mind us asking any question as long as we are asking it with a submissive attitude and not questioning His goodness.

Test question number two: Do we completely trust God and have our confidence in Him to the degree that when we don't see our answer right away, we wait patiently instead of taking the matter into our own hands and doing it our own way? Do we have confidence in the Lord that He has everything under control, or do we worry and fret and let anxiety rob us of our day? If we trusted Him, we would believe His Word and not doubt His promises.

Test question number three: What about loyalty? Are we loyal to Him? We act sometimes as if God were against us instead of for us. For instance, when we have prayed and asked God for an answer to our prayers but have not received that answer yet, do we begin listening to the devil as he whispers these words to us, "God hasn't answered your prayers; He doesn't really care for you. You know God has all power in heaven and earth so why doesn't He answer your prayers?" Instead of our being loyal and defending the Father, we end up many times agreeing with the devil by turning to God and saying, "Yes, God, why haven't You answered my prayers?" Our devotion to the Lord should be one of defending the heavenly Father with a statement to the enemy like this, "Satan, I don't know why God hasn't answered my prayers yet, but I do know one thing; He loves me and my answers are on the way. If anybody is hindering my answers, it's you, not my precious Father."

Real faith has all the above qualities of total confidence in God, and complete trust and unquestioning loyalty. Do we really have faith in God? In discussing faith we need to point out that it is not the quantity of faith that will accomplish the overcoming in our lives, but rather the quality. "...for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you" (Matthew 17:20). It is not the amount of faith we have but who our faith is centered in. Jesus is faith.

If we feel we do not have sufficient faith to remove our "mountain of difficulty," we can always ask the Lord for the "gift of faith." This gift is one of the provisions for those who are baptized with the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:9). The Lord did not leave us without the tools to overcome our lack of faith. We can simply ask God to give us the gift of faith we need for whatever problem we might have. As we are faithful to exercise our "measure of faith" that has been given to each of us, our faith will grow. Then we can believe God for greater things even without the gift of faith. However, if we need the gift, we can ask and the Lord will supply if our hearts are right.

Faith is not only a gift, but also a fruit of the Holy Spirit plus a part of our Christian armour; so we see the importance of it in our Christian walk (Galatians 5:22). May we be spoken of as were the Christians at Thessalonica, "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure" (II Thessalonians 1:3-4). Faith will carry us through every trial and tribulation. Faith is really not that difficult. God made it easy. In essence, faith is just taking one more step with Jesus; it's believing God for one more hour, and because we do not give up on God, He comes through with our answers when we trust Him.
Regarding test question #2, In the past I've had problems with waiting patiently for God's response. In the Western Hemisphere most of us have spent our lives in "microwave cultures", surrounded by electronic devices that produce results quickly. And naturally, if we don't listen with our hearts as we read the Word or listen attentively to the sermon on Sunday, we wind up expecting God to respond with microwave speed.

It took me years to finally realize that God doesn't have buttons that I can push, and by experience I've learned that waiting on Him pays off. Hiis answers are always the right answers.

Last edited:
Matthew 9:29B
According to your faith be it unto you.

Mark 11
22And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

23For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

24Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

25And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

26But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Romans 10
8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Romans 3:
25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Jude 1
20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Excellent thread.

Thankyou for sharing those scriptures, we all need to be reminded
Faith is the central key to christianity, without it we are nothing.

Always remmember - anytime that we determine to live by faith and step out of the boat, the wind will always appear to be against us, because the world system doesnt operate by faith but is controlled by fear.

Fear tells you what you cant do - Faith tells you what you can do

Fear limits you to what the world says you can or cant do
Faith removes the limits the world places on you

Although it appears that the wind is against you, the truth is that as you step out in faith you are against the wind.

We are not sinners trying to get rightious - we are the righteous resisting sin in Jesus name

We are not the sick trying to get healed - we are the healed resisting sickness in Jesus name

We are not the oppressed trying to get delivered - we are the delivered resisting oppression in Jesus name.

That sums up the whole new testiment

Jehovah Jireh said:
----
We are not sinners trying to get rightious - we are the righteous resisting sin in Jesus name

We are not the sick trying to get healed - we are the healed resisting sickness in Jesus name

We are not the oppressed trying to get delivered - we are the delivered resisting oppression in Jesus name.---

Very Good Ken !!!!
Amen and amen!

Romans 3:22
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Isaiah 53
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed

1 Peter 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Colossians 1
12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins

for by grace you have been saved through faith and this is not your own doing but the gift of god. eph. 2:8

I think it is important to have faith. I know that I have had a tough time with that myself, but God has been able to confirm things for me. But I know I have to get into my word. Thank you for bringing up about faith.