• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What is going on in Ezekiel 1? It sounds demonic/like the beliefs pagans had. Can someone please explain???

A little background in why I question these things. I believe in the Bible and God, but I believe asking questions will only reaffirm my faith. I also do not want to be asked by someone who does not believe in God and for me to tell them, "I don't know". I want to be as schooled as I can in God's word.

I am trying to witness to Muslim friends that I have and one point that I've noticed in Islam is that there are EXTREMELY paganistic things in the Qur'an & Hadith. One example is they circle around the kaaba seven times (as the pagans did to worship the planets/sun/moon - I do not totally remember). When asking Muslims why they do this, they either say 1) they don't know or 2) because of the galaxy... show the roots to paganism.

I do not want to ignore things I see in the bible. If I saw it in the Qur'an I would ask why the prophet is describing creatures that sound like things Babylonians worshipped/believed in. Yes, God does give examples for the time, but he's a God of all time. Was this story a symbol in a way to say that the Babylonian gods/symbols are servants to/carrying God? Not that they are literally there, but referencing that God is above them?

I do not understand why God doesn't just plainly say they are not real (if the above is what is happening) as he said to the Jews about their idols "Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."
Jeremiah 10:5

If my above thought is not the case, then sure it could be possible these are God's creatures. Revelation is full of similar creatures that sound demonic to me. It does make me wonder though, this is something I have prayed to God about off and on for the last 8 or so years. Everytime I read things in revelations about multiple eyes and faces and such, I just tell God "help me to understand God, open my eyes. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear." I try to meditate on these things and research about them, but no one else seems disturbed by them.

Loyal
The beings in Ezek 1:5-21; are real. They are Angels. Not be worshiped.

Also see Ezek 10:1-20,

Active
What is going on in Ezekiel 1? It sounds demonic/like the beliefs pagans had. Can someone please explain???

A little background in why I question these things. I believe in the Bible and God, but I believe asking questions will only reaffirm my faith. I also do not want to be asked by someone who does not believe in God and for me to tell them, "I don't know". I want to be as schooled as I can in God's word.

I am trying to witness to Muslim friends that I have and one point that I've noticed in Islam is that there are EXTREMELY paganistic things in the Qur'an & Hadith. One example is they circle around the kaaba seven times (as the pagans did to worship the planets/sun/moon - I do not totally remember). When asking Muslims why they do this, they either say 1) they don't know or 2) because of the galaxy... show the roots to paganism.

I do not want to ignore things I see in the bible. If I saw it in the Qur'an I would ask why the prophet is describing creatures that sound like things Babylonians worshipped/believed in. Yes, God does give examples for the time, but he's a God of all time. Was this story a symbol in a way to say that the Babylonian gods/symbols are servants to/carrying God? Not that they are literally there, but referencing that God is above them?

I do not understand why God doesn't just plainly say they are not real (if the above is what is happening) as he said to the Jews about their idols "Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."
Jeremiah 10:5

If my above thought is not the case, then sure it could be possible these are God's creatures. Revelation is full of similar creatures that sound demonic to me. It does make me wonder though, this is something I have prayed to God about off and on for the last 8 or so years. Everytime I read things in revelations about multiple eyes and faces and such, I just tell God "help me to understand God, open my eyes. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear." I try to meditate on these things and research about them, but no one else seems disturbed by them.

(Ezekiel 1) is a description of not just angelic beings but of God. (1:1) Both are involved. And, at the end of chapter 1 you don't know anymore about either then when you started. Meaning sometimes you just can't know. God is that unknowable.

It is ceratainly not 'demonic'. It is 'Supernatural'. God is Supernatural. Salvation from God is supernatural. Christians, those who are born of God, are supernatural. When you are dealing with God you are dealing with the supernatural. That doesn't mean it is demonic.

Quantrill