• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Elijah

Administrator
Staff Member
Elijah

Elijah makes a dramatic entrance in the Bible when he delivered a message from God to King Ahab and his wicked wife Jezebel, warning them of the dire consequences that faced them should they continue with their pagan worship. Message delivered, he went to the Kerith ravine where ravens brought him food day and night. He drank from a brook nearby, but when the brook dried up, God sent him to live with a widow in Zarephath of Sidon. During his time there, he miraculously provided a food supply during a famine which hit the country, and raised her son, who had died from an illness, back from the dead.

Then he cried out to the LORD , "O LORD my God, have you brought tragedy also upon this widow I am staying with, by causing her son to die?" Then he stretched himself out on the boy three times and cried to the LORD , "O LORD my God, let this boy's life return to him!" The LORD heard Elijah's cry, and the boy's life returned to him, and he lived. Elijah picked up the child and carried him down from the room into the house. He gave him to his mother and said, "Look, your son is alive!" (1 Kings 17:20-23)
Three years later he was sent by God once again to confront Ahab. What followed was a confrontation on Mount Carmel between Elijah and hundreds of pagan prophets of Baal and Asherah. The supernatural demonstration of the powers of the true God against the powerless frauds led the people to abandon their idolatry and turn back to The Lord. The draught ended immediately.

After Jezebel discovered that all her priests had been killed in the confrontation with Elijah, she attempted to have the prophet killed. Elijah fled. An angel appeared to him twice to give him courage. He also supplied Elijah with food. Nourished, Elijah journeyed for 40 days to Horeb, where God appeared to him and told him to go back north to Damascus to anoint Hazael king over Syria, and Jehu king over Israel. During this journey Elijah commissioned his successor, Elisha, as directed by God. Soon after, he was transported away on a chariot of fire to the kingdom of heaven.

Soon after, he was transported away on a chariot of fire to the kingdom of heaven.

Now THAT is a way to go out! Thank you for this post,
I enjoyed reading about him. I don't often hear his name,
and he might not be talked about much, but wow what a story.

very nice.
I was just reading Elijah means " The Lord is God "
And Elijah was one of the greatest servants of God in Bible history
Thank you