• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Detaching yourself from Religion and following Jesus

Do you support religious expression of Christanity?

• I support Religion

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I kinda support it but I focus on God

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don't really know as long as they don't have false doctrine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Religion has not given God his glory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Completely against causes false doctrines and control

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
(Before I begin I just want to say yes, I am a devout Christian, I love Jesus Christ, and the Lord God, however I am against the traditional and religious practices of the church, they are heresy, and we should focus on GOD, not a Sunday service, or some tradition from hundreds of years ago.)

I see way too many Christians walking around praying Rosaries, Going to church on Sunday, wearing the cross, but they have nothing in their soul. Dead religion, no relationship with God, or Jesus Christ of Nazareth. People need to realize religion has stolen the Light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ should the eyes of men not be blinded by Satan or sin. Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Divide and conquer. After they divided us, they play us against each other, then they broadcast only garbage preachers like Joel Olsteen "God wants you to have money" or some hateful preacher "God hates fags" or "Jesus hates sinners" Or some Pope who preaches religion this and church that.

They have taken the precious sacrifice of Jesus Christ, using all these tactics, and they shut the eyes to the true God. My message to those is this.

RELIGION IS WORTHLESS.

Jesus Christ is what saves you, the Holy Ghost teaches you, and in God you have your being. You should fellowship, but don't attach yourself to religion, or denominations, or other foolishness because this is just used to divide us and get us into workers of the law rather then Servants of Jesus Christ.

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this, I myself am tired of what religion does, they do NOT represent Jesus, they hide God and turn him into a fantasy, they promise you money, or power, or fame, but they don't preach about Hell, or the Power of God, just love songs and worthless sermons about how "God loves us" for the 50th time, without teaching us anything from the scripture.

Matthew 15:8

God bless in Jesus's name.

Active
(Before I begin I just want to say yes, I am a devout Christian, I love Jesus Christ, and the Lord God, however I am against the traditional and religious practices of the church, they are heresy, and we should focus on GOD, not a Sunday service, or some tradition from hundreds of years ago.)

I see way too many Christians walking around praying Rosaries, Going to church on Sunday, wearing the cross, but they have nothing in their soul. Dead religion, no relationship with God, or Jesus Christ of Nazareth. People need to realize religion has stolen the Light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ should the eyes of men not be blinded by Satan or sin. Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Divide and conquer. After they divided us, they play us against each other, then they broadcast only garbage preachers like Joel Olsteen "God wants you to have money" or some hateful preacher "God hates fags" or "Jesus hates sinners" Or some Pope who preaches religion this and church that.

They have taken the precious sacrifice of Jesus Christ, using all these tactics, and they shut the eyes to the true God. My message to those is this.

RELIGION IS WORTHLESS.

Jesus Christ is what saves you, the Holy Ghost teaches you, and in God you have your being. You should fellowship, but don't attach yourself to religion, or denominations, or other foolishness because this is just used to divide us and get us into workers of the law rather then Servants of Jesus Christ.

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this, I myself am tired of what religion does, they do NOT represent Jesus, they hide God and turn him into a fantasy, they promise you money, or power, or fame, but they don't preach about Hell, or the Power of God, just love songs and worthless sermons about how "God loves us" for the 50th time, without teaching us anything from the scripture.

I understand I also hate the word religion. C.S. Lewis once said that religion is man's attempt to reach God, but Christianity is God's attempt to reach man. Jesus said that the traditions of man have made the word of God of no effect.

I am tired of seeing churches of people claiming to be "family" yet only seeing each other at service and then putting on a mask and not sharing who they really are.

Active
but can

RELIGION IS WORTHLESS.

I ask you a question? Are you angry with the religious people?

No. I am angry at the false teachers, who push religion and lead them astray, but I truly have love for all those trapped in institution to come to Jesus Christ (you should have read my first sentence)

RELIGION IS WORTHLESS.

There are two kinds of people, those who are saints, and those who are tasked with the gifts to perfect saints.

How does this apply to your understanding? How will you find the one tasked with perfecting you if you throw all so called teaching churches out the window? Are you saying you are tasking yourself to perfect yourself?

I never said to throw churches out the window...

I'm saying to stop the divisions and all this foolishness about "baptist" or "Methodist" or "catholic" Christians should not divide themselves with religion, and then you have orthodox, Catholic, who do vain traditions but don't care about God.

Active
I think churches should move out of church buildings and into the homes again. And instead of just weekly services just visit each other often and have dinner together, hang out with each other as you help the needy and sick and never shy from inviting others from outside your "group".

Loyal
Jas 1:26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious (piously observant of the external duties of his faith) and does not bridle his tongue but deludes his own heart, this person's religious service is worthless (futile, barren).
Jas 1:27 External religious worship [religion as it is expressed in outward acts] that is pure and unblemished in the sight of God the Father is this: to visit and help and care for the orphans and widows in their affliction and need, and to keep oneself unspotted and uncontaminated from the world. (AMP)

Loyal
Jas 1:27 External religious worship [religion as it is expressed in outward acts] that is pure and unblemished in the sight of God the Father is this: to visit and help and care for the orphans and widows in their affliction and need, and to keep oneself unspotted and uncontaminated from the world. (AMP)

It would seem that stating religion is unscriptural... is "ahem"... unscriptural.

Active
It would seem that stating religion is unscriptural... is "ahem"... unscriptural.
That would depend entirely on how you define religion. If you define it as simply the outward expression that living a life in relationship with God reveals then yea religion is amazing. However, language is a living thing and meanings change as time passes and people change. Now to the vast majority of people religion is a system of organized beliefs. It is the traditions and rituals that serve no purposes other than to eliviate guilt, establish self justification based off of anything but a relationship with Jesus, and ostracize anyone that does not agree or participate in said religion. With this definition religion is a very horrible thing that Jesus and the apostles warned about constantly.

Loyal
I never said to throw churches out the window...

I'm saying to stop the divisions and all this foolishness about "baptist" or "Methodist" or "catholic" Christians should not divide themselves with religion, and then you have orthodox, Catholic, who do vain traditions but don't care about God.
Do you have a plan to accomplish this? Where should we start?

Active
Do you have a plan to accomplish this? Where should we start?
If I may answer. As long as humanity has a fallen nature and flesh vain religion will always be there. But we can't just not do anything. I find it easier to teach those new to the faith to not establish religion than to teach those who have already established religion to give it up. I'm not saying we give up on the religious people but i feel as if I need to focus on the youth and teach them to constantly reach out past boundaries whether denominational, geographical, ethnically. And to teach them to respect others with differing beliefs even if they do not respect them in return. And to teach them to question everything and formulate their own beliefs based off sound reasoning and truth and not to just accept what the preacher is telling them.

Loyal
That would depend entirely on how you define religion

I would suggest you define it the way the bible does

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Wnl

Hi All,
Religion is physical ritualistically, meaningless, repetitive.

Jesus said this is my fathers house, but it is occupied by a gang of thieves.
What do you think.

What do you think about these examples. Of four thousand, two hundred religions

Bow down to man made boxes.
Walk round a massive box with rocks inside.
Worship idols
Splash water on a child and call it Holly water.
Kill anybody who don't believe in what they believe in
Spin and ring bells.
Shave their heads.
Never cut their hair
Worship animals and call them sacred
Wear the same clothes and colour
Can't eat certain foods
Persecute women
Still says the world is flat
Some twiddle beads
Some go in boxes to have their sins forgiven
Some worship Mary
Some worship Peter
Worship and bow down repeatedly to an ancient wall
Worship people
Worship the devil
Holy rivers
Wear silly little hats

This is just a small list of the idiotic religious practices

God says you can't find me in buildings made with hands
you can only find me in hearts and minds of mankind.

You certainly can't find God in religious fantasies.
Interesting
With Love, Wnl

Active
I would suggest you define it the way the bible does

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
The problem with that is that the bible isn't defining the word. The english translators are determining that the definition of the word religion fits the greek word used in these verses. By sticking with this older definition we run the risk of focusing more on the letter of the Word and not the spirit of the word. This is very dangerous since the letter kills but the spirit gives life.

Wnl

Thanks Dave but the problem is.
Religion IS being defiled and not pure before God, don't you agree.
It is not dangerous to say so, just open your eyes to reality.
With Love, Wnl

Loyal
Hi All,
Religion is physical ritualistically, meaningless, repetitive.

Jesus said this is my fathers house, but it is occupied by a gang of thieves.
What do you think.

What do you think about these examples. Of four thousand, two hundred religions

Bow down to man made boxes.
Walk round a massive box with rocks inside.
Worship idols
Splash water on a child and call it Holly water.
Kill anybody who don't believe in what they believe in
Spin and ring bells.
Shave their heads.
Never cut their hair
Worship animals and call them sacred
Wear the same clothes and colour
Can't eat certain foods
Persecute women
Still says the world is flat
Some twiddle beads
Some go in boxes to have their sins forgiven
Some worship Mary
Some worship Peter
Worship and bow down repeatedly to an ancient wall
Worship people
Worship the devil
Holy rivers
Wear silly little hats

This is just a small list of the idiotic religious practices

God says you can't find me in buildings made with hands
you can only find me in hearts and minds of mankind.

You certainly can't find God in religious fantasies.
Interesting
With Love, Wnl
Quite a few of those examples come directly from holy scripture. Be careful what you say.

Wnl

Hi Hekuran,
Which ones come from the holy scriptures.
Did you read my post where you can find Jesus.
With Love, Wnl

Loyal
Samson never cut his hair. Paul shaved his head (acts 21). Leviticus is full of customs about diet and clothing, including strange headgear.

Jesus himself reinterpreted the Passover meal so that it centred on his sacrifice, and he commanded his disciples to observe it. By any reckoning this is a religious feast. No?

Active
Samson never cut his hair. Paul shaved his head (acts 21). Leviticus is full of customs about diet and clothing, including strange headgear.

Jesus himself reinterpreted the Passover meal so that it centred on his sacrifice, and he commanded his disciples to observe it. By any reckoning this is a religious feast. No?
I wouldn't say Jesus reinterpreted the passover as the passover lamb always represented him and his sacrifice. It isnt the act that brings religion but trusting your performance of the act to bring justification instead of Jesus that bring you under the chains of vain religion.

Also Israel chose a religion instead of relationship when they told Moses to be the middle man between God and them out of fear. Maybe that is why Israel kept messing up.