• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Detaching yourself from Religion and following Jesus

Do you support religious expression of Christanity?

• I support Religion

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I kinda support it but I focus on God

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don't really know as long as they don't have false doctrine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Religion has not given God his glory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Completely against causes false doctrines and control

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
religion puts people in bondage!! keeps them in a cage, it just diverts people away from Gods true word!! and just 4 thos! who might bring up james 1:27 hes talking about giving 2 the poor and keeping oneself clean from the world which is both wat jesus taught, undefiled faith, not like 2day! now religion is all about traditions, do this do that at this time and at dat time or u wont prosper!!

For me, the preaching is far from the most important part of a church, or the biggest factor in deciding which church to belong to.

I listen to a lot of podcasts from some of the most gifted Bible teachers alive today. No church in my locality has any chance of matching them.

Think of preaching or Bible teaching in terms of spiritual food. There are chefs who can serve up exquisite delicacies that send the taste buds soaring, and that's great. But we can all live off decent honest nutritious home cooking just fine.

What's most important to me, is the culture of a church - is it a group of people that is committed to each other, and living out the life that Jesus commands? Is it the kind of culture that will challenge me, hold me accountable when it's needed, and help carry me through the tough times when they come? I want to belong to a church that will pray for me and support me in my walk of faith. Also, I want to be free to serve others in the same way.

If these things are in place, I can happily sit through any number of average sermons. :)

I love your post Hekuran....the worship service is so much more than simply the sermon, and like you I listen to sermons on line that are wonderful. Yet even still, just as there is more to a worship service than just the sermon, there is more to a church than a worship service.

I changed churches as mentioned in previous post....my old church, I wasn't comfortable with it any more....it was an older congregation with a median age probably pushing close to 80 years, and not particularily well attended....around 100 people at worship. The building itself was lovely, but that was both negative and positive....built around 170 years ago its one of the oldest buildings in town with a tower and bells. While that is all wonderful the cost of maintaing such a structure is a challenge with membership declining. So much fund raising was done to keep the church going....and the pastor would almost apoligize for it by saying something like 'without this fundraising this church will cease to exist'.....I should point out that the church does a lot for the community. They have a used clothing depot, they have dinners for the migrant workers who come to work in the area farms, and host a weekly supper that is open to evreyone at no cost, (donations welcomed though).

Now my new church isn't perfect either....but I find its really helping me develop in my relationship with Christ in so many ways. I see a message like one that came after your's boldly asserting that religion is a form of bondage that puts a person in a cage and it makes me sad because I fear people will read a message like that and that it might lead them away from checking dropping into a place of worship.

The topic of this thread about detaching oneself from religion and following Jesus, and I don't have a problem with that per se, unless it means abandoning our places of worship. I have a six year old son attending Sunday School....I teach his class on a rotational basis with others. My little guy is just starting out, and he's learning the foundations of the Christian faith, Adam and Eve, the flood, Jonah, Samson, David and Goliath. I know he doesn't understand the many layered meanings of these teachings yet, that will come later.

During the summer there's a Christian sports camp for the kids, and Vacation Bible School...and then there's gems and cadets for older kids throughout the year, and a youth group for the teens. My church hosts regular breakfast gatherings for First Responder Workers....we have 'The Big Give' where a local hockey arena is rented out in the summer and is used to stage a huge give away of items donated by members of the congregation and some of the other churches in the area. There's grief counseling services open to all members of the community suffering from the loss of a loved one, I could go on and on, support for a local pregnancy support centre and financial support of missionaries both local and global.

We're a pretty large community for a small town of less than 15,000....typically we have 250-300 people at worship on Sunday, and the gifts that people bring of their time, talents and money make so much possible....I've organized a weekly men's basketball night, it just started this year....but I'm hoping it becomes a way to introduce people to Jesus Christ who might otherwise not have the opportunity to engage with Christians.

My advice to anyone who has had a bad experience with a church, or who hasn't found the experience fulfilling....keep looking. And don't expect to find a perfect church, because there is no such thing. If even the best one you've found isn't good enough, maybe try and make it better. Even if it is good enough, you can bring your time and talent to improve it. Volunteering to teach Sunday School and at VBS and other events has given me back far more than I've given.

Active
MODERN CHRISTIANITY IS SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN PUT IN THE OVERCOMERS WAY AS A THING TO OVERCOME. IN OVERCOMING THE FALSE DOCTRINES AND PRACTICES IT IS ONLY THEN THAT AN OVERCOMER IS ALLOWED TO EAT OF THE HIDDEN MANNA IN THE BIBLE (AS A REWARD). THIS HAS BEEN SO WELL HIDDEN BUT YET IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU ALL THE TIME. IT IS TESTING TIME AND THOSE WHO OVERCOME WILL BE TOSSED OUT AS THOUGH THEY ARE HERETICS, BUT IT IS THEIR BELIEF IN WHAT THE FATHER HAS TAUGHT THEM THAT CAUSES THIS SEPERATION OF THE OVERCOMER AND THE CHURCH GOER. HOW ELSE DOES GOD STRENGTHEN HIS CHOSEN BUT TO GIVE THEM SPIRITUAL WEIGHTS TO LIFT??? ONCE SEPARATED FROM OTHERS IT LEAVES YOU ALONE WITH HIM AND WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU RATHER BE??

I think churches should move out of church buildings and into the homes again. And instead of just weekly services just visit each other often and have dinner together, hang out with each other as you help the needy and sick and never shy from inviting others from outside your "group".
This is something I believe should be happening everywhere. We are actually already trying to start this. I believe all churches should do this.

Active
What is your definition of church? The true church of Jesus Christ are those whom truly have been given the Holy Ghost. "Without the SPIRIT ye are NONE OF HIS". And I'll go further to say that they will have testimony as to healing the sick, and casting out unclean spirits, and speaking in tongues as these are the signs that follow the true believer or true church member. As one myself I can attest to all the above because he has created the situations in which it was my pleasure to step up to do these things AS HE DIRECTED. You see as a young believer the Lord will prove to you that you are one of his chosen in that those things spoken of a true believer become realities in your life and give you a witness to that truth and will allow you to reprove those that say they are heavenly Jews but are not.