1. Featured Thread

Unlimiting God

An excellent sermon by Francis Chan. Give this a view and listen. He's inspiring and very passionate about Jesus Christ and us living fully for God's Kingdom.

View This Video

2. Featured Thread

Parables of Jesus

Jesus' parables are short stories that teach a moral or spiritual lesson by analogy or similarity. They are often stories based on the agricultural life that was intimately familiar to His original first century audience.

Some aspect of an unfamiliar concept, such as the kingdom of God, was compared to something from everyday life that could easily be understood.

View The Parables

3. Featured Thread

There is a lot of noise, lots of "religions" and beliefs out there to confuse anyone. But, Jesus is real. He loves you, He's ready to forgive you for all your sins and make your heart His dwelling place. Read about God's characteristics and attributes and get to know the real Jesus today.

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?
    How To Be Friends With God
    Why believe in Christianity?
    The Attributes of God

View the Seeking Jesus forum

4. Featured Thread

Understanding Inadequacy

Poor self-image. Past failures. Weak faith. We all feel inadequate in different areas of our lives. No one is adequate within themselves to be saved or to serve God effectively. We must respond to God’s call and rely on the Holy Spirit.

View This Video

Crying during worship

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by naomi, Nov 28, 2005.

Share This Page

Random Thread
  1. naomi

Expand Collapse

I was just wondering...why do we cry sometimes when we're deep into worship?

2. sunshine307

Expand Collapse

Naomi, I think we are just so in awe of God and His presence that we can't help but cry during worship. We are so aware of what He has done for us too.

3. nean

Expand Collapse

i think its because it can be 1 of the most personally things we do openning r hearts 2 GOD

4. evangeline

Expand Collapse

I agree with all of the above! In my experience it has been when God has been healing me from past hurts too, but just the thought of his awesome love and mercy, that we don't deserve at all, is enough to make me emotional.
    :present: :present: :present: :present:

:love:
    evangeline

5. mathew

Expand Collapse

When we are in the presence of god the thought that we are the biggest sinners in the whole world ,but still he considers us as his sons and daughters make us weep.i believe as god's child will weep only before god and will never weep when we confront the hardships of the material world .It is only gud to wep bcoz its a symbol of your humility

6. lll3

Expand Collapse

Naomi,

I agree with the others about weeping with joy in the presence of the Holy Spirit. It is absolutely awesome, and don't ever hold it in. I do have one question for you. Do you ever cry from the innermost part of yourself for no reason, or maybe someone comes to mind and this happens? The reason I ask is I am an intercessor (actually we all are to different degrees). Sometimes a burden will come on my heart and I cry a gut wrenching cry like a baby for sometimes over an hour. Sometimes this happens for reasons I am unaware of and sometimes God puts someone on my heart during this. Many times I pray in tongues before or after this. Do you ever experience this?

7. evangeline

Expand Collapse

At the risk of sounding completely crazy, I had a similar experience once. I was praying for someone close to me who had been slipping into "darkness." I literally cried and groaned aloud for hours. (Something that is totally out of character for me! I've never been able to cry for more than 10 minutes or so, and never very loudly.) :embarasse
    Anyway the next day he had a complete turn around and has been going STRONG for the Lord ever since!
    Maybe it has something to do with Romans 8:26+27
    We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes on behalf of the saints in accordance with God's will.

:love:

evangeline

8. heide88

Expand Collapse

i know exaly what that is like. i am a intersesser as well ( im not a good speller) i some times start prain in touges and start crying and shaking under the sprit of god it kinda feels like i am at my weakest and most vorabil state and then i feel the holy sprit comfert and strenghtn me.

9. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

This Time the Crying Didn't Help

Naomi, I cry a lot during worship. My daughter thinks I'm weird. I can't help it, God touches me and I just can't stop. It seems to be a way to express deep emotions that have no words.
    This past Sunday I was sitting in church and the assistant pastor had an altar call before the sermon, for ones that felt led---to come to the altar and lay their burdens down. I was very burdened, myself, but was holding my baby on my lap and my teenaged daughter was at home with a cold. So I did not go to the altar. I sat there and sobbed (loudly). I didn't have any control over quieting myself. I had my eyes shut so I don't know if people were staring at me or not and didn't much care. They stare at me anyway, because I'm the first white person to join that church, lol.
    I would like anyone who reads this to pray for me---I am extremely depressed. The crying that I did Sunday morning didn't seem to release any of the sorrow. I just left the church feeling worse than when I got there.
    I have been so heavy with sorrow the past week or so. Please pray for me, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Dreamer

10. dine2t

Expand Collapse

I believe for me that it is a wonderful feeling of cleansing and letting go

11. xDICEx

Expand Collapse

I think of James, first, where he advises exchange our laughter for weaping. We are sinners saved by his grace. Next, I think of Samuel's mother in tears befor the priest where he thought she was drunk mistaking her ernest petition for intoxication. God deals with our hearts. last, I'm thinking of Davids tears in the Psalms and Pauls for his beloved's assemblies. Strange vessels are we, but God's love is to be poured out in our hearts. DGB

12. To Christ

Expand Collapse

xDICEx, thank you for the light of this Biblically inspired post. I am touched by the truth that it is God dealing with our hearts from which flows our tears of devotion and cleansing in worship.

The LORD said in Ezekiel 36:26, "'I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.'"

:unlove: :love:

13. Mike

Expand Collapse

14. sunshine307

Expand Collapse

Brother Mike, thank you so much, that is awesome worship music. I really need it right now and I recommend everyone to download and listen to it. :icon_biggrin:

15. Mike

Expand Collapse

Thanks Valerie . All Glory to the Father God . Worship brings us into the very pesence of Heaven . I am blessed that you enjoyed it . Peace in the Holy Spirit , for the Holy Spirit is Peace . Mike

16. Friarbob

Expand Collapse

Hi naomi, I don't know why we sometimes cry in church servides. I used to never express my emotions in public. After I had my stroke in 2001,I became quite emotional. The first time I was able to go back to my home church. I was so overwhelmed with the joy of being back in the worship services. I began to shed tears like a stream. They were not tears of sadness but tears of joy for how God had stained me while I was in the hospital.

17. Chad

Administrator
    Staff Member
    Expand Collapse

I used to attend bible studies at my local church (when I used to have time) and every night driving home from Bible studies I would just start crying in the car. It was strange and awesome nonetheless. I felt the presence of GOD always, just amazing. It felt as if everytime I attended studies GOD answered questions that I had in mind and never missed a class doing so :)

Praise GOD

18. diamarie

Expand Collapse

I've never been through it..But I think it's cuz the Holy Spirit is so in deeply inside you,that you feel so emotional...And overjoyed!!

19. SpiritLedEd

Expand Collapse

Naomi: I think that people crying during worship is a sign of the manifest presence of the Holy Spirit. I say "manifest" because though the Holy Spirit is always with us when we sincerely worship, there are times when His presence will be manifested more powerfully than usual.

People may be crying during worship because the Spirit has brought joy into their hearts, or, they may be crying because He has brought confession of sin and repentance.

SLE

20. SpiritLedEd

Expand Collapse

It sounds as if you and Evangeline were weeping like Jesus wept at Lazarus' tomb. Most everyone can quote John 11:35 "Jesus wept"(the shortest verse in the Bible), but I'm thinking of verse 36 "See how He loved him." Those words indicate that Jesus was crying a gut-wrenching cry from deep inside His spirit.

Yes, God's Spirit does bring emotion like that out in people sometimes during worship.