• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Bill Wiese (Man Who Went To Hell) - 23 Minutes in Hell (Condensed)

Yes, Ma'am, that is correct. Not quite sure if this is a question regarding 1 Peter 3:18-22 or not, but if so yes. The reference to the "spirits" whom Christ went and preached to is to those eight in particular, whom Peter was paralleling with New Testament saints as being relatively few in number (Matthew 7:14), and saved by baptism into Christ as represented by the deluge.

Forgive me if I misunderstood you. Taking a guess.

Granted, those eight were not the only ones Christ preached to in the Underworld, but Peter was drawing attention to those eight in particular to draw a parallel for his readers regarding what was going on in their time.

Loyal
Hidden in Him and all here,
I just want to address this portion of the “text”. It sounds alright but in light of “scripture” I don’t really get it. But in another sense I think I do. Because sometimes Apostle Peter can be a problem. Why was this put in the text of “Holy Scripture” only by Peter and what was he driving too, in saying this:

(1 Peter 3: 19,20).
19in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, 20that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing,

Now make it real plain to me. So I am convince what did he mean and why. I am being honest here.

Hidden in Him and all here,
I just want to address this portion of the “text”. It sounds alright but in light of “scripture” I don’t really get it. But in another sense I think I do. Because sometimes Apostle Peter can be a problem. Why was this put in the text of “Holy Scripture” only by Peter and what was he driving too, in saying this:

(1 Peter 3: 19,20).
19in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, 20that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing,

Now make it real plain to me. So I am convince what did he mean and why. I am being honest here.

I can try, LoL.

- "in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison":
On the cross, Jesus promised the thief on the right, "This day shall you be with Me in Paradise," and we know scripture says that He "led captivity captive," thereby referring to the same thing. The gates of Hades (i.e. both sides of the Underworld) were keeping even the righteous from ascending to Heaven when they died, hence King Saul and the witch of Endor attempted to bring the prophet Samuel UP from Sheol (1 Samuel 28). It was the Jewish tradition that even the souls of the righteous descended to Sheol after death. But the (prison) gates of Hades would NOT prevail against the church after Christ went and preached to the spirits of the OT saints. He preached to them that He was the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, and that through His blood sacrifice they could now ascend to Heaven with Him. Hence at His resurrection many of the OT saints were seen to have been resurrected just as Christ was.

- "who aforetime were disobedient, when the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah while the ark was a preparing":
Difficult to explain these phrases without focusing on what Peter is making out of them theologically. He's saying this: Noah, his wife, and his sons and their wives (eight souls) were sometimes disobedient to God during the time their deliverance was being prepared in the form of an ark before the flood. The parallel being drawn here is that the New Testament saints, despite likewise occasionally being disobedient to God, were also remaining faithful to His call. So as in Noah's time, again in His long-suffering, God was preparing an ark, this time in the form of the rapture. He would return in the air to deliver them up above the destruction coming upon the earth once again.

The teaching was an encouragement concerning the parousia (Peter loved prophecy), and that the Lord would save them even in spite of their occasional failings, so long as they stayed in faith.
Why? Because they now possessed a clear conscience before the Lord, having been baptized in water, which represented their sins having been washed away.