• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Are You Poor And Needy? Good!

Staff Member
But I [am] poor and needy; Make haste to me, O God! You [are] my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay. Psalm 70:5 NKJV

Question: Why did the Israelites wander so long in the wilderness?

Answer: Because Moses refused to stop and ask for directions.

The older you are, the better you’ll understand the joke—GPS and mapping technology have made asking for directions a thing of the past. But whatever our age, many of us guys still hate to admit weakness of any kind.

Humility, however, is essential for our Christian growth and happiness. In fact, we’ll never even be saved unless we come to God “like little children” (Matthew 18:3). Since pride is the root from which all other sin grows, God despises it. Isaiah prophesied of a time when “the arrogance of man will be brought low and human pride humbled; the Lord alone will be exalted in that day” (Isaiah 2:17).

Though King David’s pride occasionally got him into trouble—consider his sin with Bathsheba and the foolish census that brought a plague on Israel (2 Samuel 11, 24)—he always returned to God in humble dependence. Today’s scripture is an example of the attitude we should consciously develop in our own lives. Let’s pray, like David did.

Prayer: “But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me O God. You are my help and my deliverer: Lord, do not delay” (Psalm 70:5).