• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

“Foxes Book of “Martyrs” had to be chain down to the Pulpits in the church to be kept from being “Stolen”!

Loyal
Can you really believe that the book had to be chain down in the church. Along side of the Bible! Three most important books of Christianity, I feel every Child of God must read is,
1. the Bible
2. Pilgrims Progress
3. Foxes Book of Martyrs
These 3. books walk hand in hand together.

Loyal
But one thing the Lord has bless us with, is these very fulfilling “books of biblical history” of our brothers and sisters and their children who gave up their lives, that we may have the freedom to have God’s Word in our hands. For free downloads on the internet. These are some of the people that are recorded in the book of Revelation who are under the throne of God that had been beheaded for the Word of God, who are waiting for God to Revenge them. And some Christians don’t even want to know what it cost, what blood had to be spill, family’s burn alive, heads cut off, so they can have a Bible on the “Dinning table” or the “Fireplace Mantle”, or “the living room coffee table” or just for a “bedroom door stop”.or a book they can carry under their arms when they go to church so they can turn to the page their pastor has instructed them to do and that is the only page it is going to be turn too, until next Sunday! But they can be a member of “Oprah book of the month” book club or “How to be “Successful” in a “Purpose Driven Life” in a world that “ Jesus Christ” our Lord , is Opening “The 7 Seals “!

Loyal
American Standard Version
And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of them that had been slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

Correction: not “under the throne” but underneath the “altar”. And not “beheaded” but “slain”. Sorry. In post 2.

Active
I know the Bible was chained down by the middle ages RC's but where did you find it stated that Foxes was also chained down

Active
So much real church history is being eliminated threw the internet it is not funny. We read books. For information, you read every biography you could not afford, you borrowed books and quickly return them to owners within a week. 700 pages would be nothing in 5 days. Old books. “Reformation” Stuffs,

I have read the book of Martyrs but what is your source for it having been chained down, by who, and where did this take place? Thanks

Loyal
Did you read the attachment? It tell you in the 1st paragraph
Plus the old copy of Foxes 1st translation and his Bio had the information in it. And his death “Martyrdom”.

Loyal
Brother Paul: the attachment also, scroll down in it and read the “excerpt” on page 20 or read the whole “excerpt”! A short bio of his life.
I first read foxes “Acts and monuments” materials over 35 years ago. I read mostly all those great Reformers of that time and the queens and kings.

“Page 20”
Foxe was, in no way, impartial either to his faith or to his time in history. He did not hold to any notion of neutrality or objectivity. He presented that which would serve to aid in the salvation of those not saved and reinforce the beliefs of those who were.
Acts and Monuments was chained beside the Bible in cathedrals, parish churches, bishops’ residences, and even guildhalls. It was read and quoted by both clergy and laity. It graced the halls of Oxford and Cambridge, sailed with English pirates, and heartened the men of Cromwell’s army. As for impact, Gordon Rupp called it one of the Six Makers of English Religion.
By the

Active
Did you read the attachment? It tell you in the 1st paragraph
Plus the old copy of Foxes 1st translation and his Bio had the information in it. And his death “Martyrdom”.

Yeah but it did not include the source of the info....not that I do not believe it, because I do....some churches did this because copies were scarce and some people would steal them. So listen I did some digging and found a few references and all I can say is WOW...they must have thought it extremely important

I am glad you posted this though because many brothers and sisters have never read this important work. So thanks again.!

Other great works to be studied are Eusibius' History of the Church, and in our time (IMHO) the Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer...there are many but certainly Foxe's Book of Martyrs is an essential....

Here is a rare one....around 1492 a Monk named Girolamo Savonarola was exposing the treachery and debauchery (especially pedastry) of his seniors in authority in the Roman Catholic church...he was pre-reformation inspiration and eventually silenced

Loyal
Yes, Dietrich B., The cost. 1st read him in 1977, worn a couple of copies of him out in younger years and a couple of his “Bio’s”.
Remember “Fox’s book of Martyrs was title back then was “Acts and Monuments”.

Active
Yes, Dietrich B., The cost. 1st read him in 1977, worn a couple of copies of him out in younger years and a couple of his “Bio’s”.
Remember “Fox’s book of Martyrs was title back then was “Acts and Monuments”.

A testimony to be remembered each generation

Can you really believe that the book had to be chain down in the church. Along side of the Bible! Three most important books of Christianity, I feel every Child of God must read is,
1. the Bible
2. Pilgrims Progress
3. Foxes Book of Martyrs
These 3. books walk hand in hand together.
AMEN! Wow! Those 3 books are beautiful! Foxes books of martys, wow! I need to get Pilgrims Progress! I have not read it yet!!!!! Would be perfect for quarantine!

Loyal
Here is another "Jewel of Great price"

"The Obedience of a Christian Man"
by , William Tyndale