there are 494 people online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes

    What does the Bible say about denominations?

    I have been going to church since I was 7 or 8 years old (19 now). I've spent my entire life at a non-denominational christian church. (Community Bible Church)

    But I have recently been going to the Church of Nazareth. They are a denomination obviously. I've been going for a couple of months now -- everybody is really nice, I have a strong relationship with the reverend, and it is also the first time in my life going to church without my parents. (Big churches aren't my thing.)

    Does the Bible say anything about denominations? The reverend has explained what denominations are to me -- but being the first time on my own, I'm just a little, nervous, I suppose you could say.

    Appreciate any input.

    All the best and God bless!

    - Aaron

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    264
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Yes in Rev. 14:6-12, tells of what Gods people will be preaching at this time of the end.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    77
    Posts
    5,341
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by _aaron View Post
    Does the Bible say anything about denominations? The reverend has explained what denominations are to me -- but being the first time on my own, I'm just a little, nervous, I suppose you could say.
    The Bible doesn't mention denominations because they didn't exist when it was written; the division that produced denominations developed in the Middle Ages, they were never part of God's original plan. Here's a link that might help you with this issue: Ask Questions about Life and God. You can also try www.gotquestions.org.

    Spirit Led Ed (SLE)
    Last edited by SpiritLedEd; 01-11-13 at 11:58 PM.
    I want to be a coin in God's pocket that He can spend any way He wishes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    264
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Sorry Spiritleded i have to disagree. In John 4, when Jesus spoke to the Samaritan, He plain out said "salvation is of the Jews". I believe He called the Jews a denom. simply because you see the Samaritan lady and her people were worshipping God too. It said in the same chpt that she believed in Jacob (they were talking there on Jacobs well) but Jesus flat oit and told her "you people do not know what u worship"
    i truly believe He seperate the Jews from these people, which actually then He pretty much called the Jews a denomination.

    Anyway Aaron denoms. did come about during and after the Reformation when people started protesting against the Catholic Church. See they were called the Dark Ages, when the Roman Catholics ruled, cause not only were millions of God fearing Christians martyred for their faith. See the Catholics made it impossible for people to get a hold of the Bible, they pretty much only had the Bibles chained to the front of churches. Where only the priests can interpret the words of God. Hence the 1280 yrs of reign the Popery had a lock down on the Word of God. But anyway then Reformers started coming out or you can call them Protestants. Wycleff, Huss, Luther, Zwingli,etc.
    At the same time these people did not have ALL the truth. Its like coming let say you were in a dark, dark room for a week then all of a sudden you walk out to a bright sunny noon day, you will not be able to open your eyes at all. See God was giving them some light, enough to Protest. What ended up happenning is people started making denoms out of the light that was shown at that time. Like Luther=Lutherans, Anabaptists=Baptist, John Wesley=Methodists, etc.
    Theres a great book out there called the Great Controversy that dives deep into this Reformation and History.
    So u see Gods intent is for Him to have a people who will stand to truths, but as I said He does show what His people will habe to be doing at this time OF THE END!

  5. amadeus2 liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    somewhere else
    Posts
    4,869
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    What does the Bible say about denominations?
    Yes, but it is in a negative way. The word denomination comes from the Latin word denominatio meaning to name or nominate and in this sense a religious sect or class.

    Paul referred to this act in his first letter to the Corinthians.

    1 Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. 2 I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready,3 for you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world?4 When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world?
    1 Cor 3:1-4 (NLT)

    and again here

    17 But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together.18 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.19 But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!
    1 Cor 11:17-19 (NLT)

    Paul states that this kind of action is purely carnal and so it is with all denominations a thing of man and not of God.
    Last edited by jiggyfly; 01-13-13 at 09:05 AM.
    Religion is an ugly tyrant.

  7. Coconut, Strypes liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by jiggyfly View Post
    Yes, but it is in a negative way. The word denomination comes from the Latin word denominatio meaning to name or nominate and in this sense a religious sect or class.

    Paul referred to this act in his first letter to the Corinthians.

    1 Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. 2 I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready,3 for you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world?4 When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world?
    1 Cor 3:1-4 (NLT)

    and again here

    17 But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together.18 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.19 But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!
    1 Cor 11:17-19 (NLT)

    Paul states that this kind of action is purely carnal and so it is with all denominations a thing of man and not of God.
    Jiggyfly you beat me to it!
    I would also add 1 Cor 1
    v10. Now I beseech you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you, but that you are perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    v11. For it has been declared unto me of you my brethren by them who are of the house of Chloe that there are contentions among you.
    v12. Now this I say, that everyone of you says, I am of Apollos, or I am of Cephas, or I of Christ, (or I of Methodist, or I of Nazareth or I of Southern Baptist, or I of Calvin, or I of Arminius, or I of Presbyterian, etc.)
    v13. Is Christ divided, was Paul crucified for you..............etc. etc.

    Most certainly denominations have always been around since the beginning of Spiritual life. Men have always desired to follow men rather than follow the Lord.

  9. jiggyfly, Coconut, Strypes liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Felton, Pa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    310
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Denominations are not inherently evil. I grew up in a Free Will Baptist church, where I found the doctrine to be biblical and in line with many other denominations. However, I did and do see that denomination can cause division. Although the words may or may not be formed, many feel that their denomination is the only "right" one.

    I no longer belong to any denomination, I belong to Christ. I worship and serve with many denominations.

    Jesus said "on this rock I will build MY church" He did not say the Baptist, Lutherin, Methodist, Penticostal, etc...church.

    I believe that if you are in a church where the Word is the doctrine, regardless of the denominational name, stay and learn, grow, worship and serve.

    If you have truly accepted Christ, regardless of your denomination, you are a child of God.

    When people ask what are you (refering to denomination) I tell them I am a blood bought, born again, child of God.
    It Is Not I, But Christ Within Me


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,022
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Really God has always given man, effectively, only two choices, Him or something else, God or mammon:

    "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

    We could easily, in the above OT verse use for the word "Amorites" any one of the following: Catholic Church, or Mormons, or Jehovah's Witnesses, or Assembly of God, or United Pentecostal Church, or Baptist Church, etc., and any one of the names of the secular nations to which we may owe allegiance would also fit. All of these and more can be the mammon of which Jesus spoke.

    A denomination is not evil in and of itself. It is like money! Used properly it can be a "good" thing.

    "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." I Tim 6:10

    Notice that it is not "money" itself that is the root of all evil, but rather the "love of money". When we put anything first in front of God, even for a moment, we are asking for trouble.

    Yes, scripture does speak of denominations! It speaks of everything, if we can see it.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Felton, Pa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    310
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by amadeus2 View Post
    Really God has always given man, effectively, only two choices, Him or something else, God or mammon:

    "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

    We could easily, in the above OT verse use for the word "Amorites" any one of the following: Catholic Church, or Mormons, or Jehovah's Witnesses, or Assembly of God, or United Pentecostal Church, or Baptist Church, etc., and any one of the names of the secular nations to which we may owe allegiance would also fit. All of these and more can be the mammon of which Jesus spoke.

    A denomination is not evil in and of itself. It is like money! Used properly it can be a "good" thing.

    "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." I Tim 6:10

    Notice that it is not "money" itself that is the root of all evil, but rather the "love of money". When we put anything first in front of God, even for a moment, we are asking for trouble.

    Yes, scripture does speak of denominations! It speaks of everything, if we can see it.
    Good point.....many put denomination before God..........I have talked to some who seem to worship and serve their denomination
    It Is Not I, But Christ Within Me


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,022
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by revbrad View Post
    Good point.....many put denomination before God..........I have talked to some who seem to worship and serve their denomination
    Yes, no matter how good our particular group or church or denomination or assembly is doing, looking to it for every answer will almost certainly result in some wrong answers. If we always look to God, He makes no mistakes.

Topic Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Marriage between different denominations`
    By Property Of God in forum Counseling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-14-13, 07:54 AM
  2. Christian Denominations
    By Chad in forum Bible Study
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-13-13, 12:23 AM
  3. The Denominations Speak: The Sabbath
    By herald in forum Bible Study
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 09-11-13, 11:29 AM
  4. the basics of denominations
    By None in forum Ethics & Morality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-08, 10:07 AM

Participants: 10

About us

Welcome to Talk Jesus Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You will need to register before you can post. Our Purpose: spread the Good News to the ends of the Earth [Mark 16:15]. We're also here to edify the church [Ephesians 4:11-12]. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. We love you and glad you are here!

 

ask & you shall receive...

Please feel comfortable and ask your questions freely in the appropriate forum. As a community, we will help you find the answers about Jesus / GOD, Bible, general life questions and so forth. We're here to support you and each other.

 

faq forum etiquette surprise me!

 

the evidence topical studies
let's socialize
our facebook friends