Fasting - List of Ways to Fast
Fasting for spiritual reasons is usually abstaining from all food, eating very little food, or avoiding specific types of food for a pre-determined length of time. In the Old Testament, there were specific days set aside for fasting.
Jesus began His ministry by observing a 40 day fast. Prior to the fast, he was "filled with the Holy Spirit" according to Luke 4:1.
Following the time of fasting, "...Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit" as recorded in Luke 4:14.
5 links to articles on fasting:
7 Books on fasting:
13 Things to fast:
- Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting by Derek Prince
- The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting by Mahesh Chavda
- How To Fast Successfully By Derek Prince
- Prayer and Fasting By Kingsley Fletcher
- 7 Basic Steps to Successful Fasting and Prayer By Bill Bright
- Godís Chosen Fast By Arthur Wallis
- A Hunger For God By John Piper
12 benefits of fasting
- All food and drink - Total fast
- All food, drinking only water - Water only fast
- All food, drinking juice and water - Juice only fast
- All food except fruits and vegetables (Sometimes called a Daniel fast)
- All meat
- Red meat
- Specific food or foods such as sugar, caffeine, desserts, chocolate, treats, alcohol, etc.
- Eating out, fast food, etc.
- Total media fast (television, movies, secular music) including online activities - blogging, social networking, etc. Could also include all reading material other than the Bible
- Secular television, movies, and music
- Unnecessary online activities including social networking sites
- Social networking i.e. FaceBook, Twitter, IM, chatrooms
- Shopping for non-essentials
Based on Isaiah 58 as listed in The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting by Mahesh Chavdah (page 40)
- Healing and wholeness
- The presence of the shekinah glory of God
- Answered prayers
- Continual guidance
- Work that endures (like an every-flowing spring)
- Raising up of future generations
article: Fasting - List of Ways to Fast | Off Grid Worship