there are 280 people online

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    23
    Posts
    313
    Gender
    Female
    Post Likes

    Proverbs 16:3 meaning?

    Alright, so what is the meaning of this! lol

    I absolutely love love love this verse, and I want to get as deep into it as I possibly can... so, what are your interpretations of Proverbs 16:3?

    Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts shall be established (NKJV)
    Audrey Nicole

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    AudreyNicole,

    This Scripture is really about our faith matching up with our works...what we do is matched up to what the Lord has shown us, like Jesus walked...led by His Father (John 8:38; John 5:24-32; as Peter had a revelation of: Matthew 16:13-19), but we have His Spirit to lead us this way. Faith is believing in the unseen (Heb. 11:1), or being led by the Spirit of God (as we cannot see Him as we see others before us). We see Him in different ways, with our spiritual eyes, that He gives to us as we are led by Him; He reveals Himself through various ways. By doing so, you will have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:10-16). He will give you a new heart and a new spirit, not one led of this world by the carnal nature, but by His nature, in Christ (Ezek. 36:25-28). Your thoughts will now be established in Him, His way of seeing and thinking, through righteousness (Isa. 11:1-10; Isa. 55:8-13).

    There are many other Scriptures that can bring you deeper into understanding of this: 1 Sam. 15:22 - obedience more important than sacrifice because through obedience, you automatically will produce sacrificial fruit or offerings that are pleasing to God, Isa. 53; Heb. 11 is a whole chapter on faith and works matching up and the result of their obedience unto God. Also: James 2

    So awesome the Lord's really pushing you to seek deeper on this Scripture, as only He has caused you to meditate on this and love it for it speaks life to you...how to live it (Prov. 3:5-6 is another one that goes along with this).

    I could also recommend a great book to study through along with the Scriptures, as the Holy Spirit leads you which brings deeper understanding to where the Lord is taking you. It's called, "The School of Obedience," by Andrew Murray.

    j_sp
    Last edited by j_sp; 07-05-11 at 01:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    23
    Posts
    313
    Gender
    Female
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by j_sp View Post
    AudreyNicole,

    This Scripture is really about our faith matching up with our works...what we do is matched up to what the Lord has shown us, like Jesus walked...led by His Father (John 8:38; John 5:24-32; as Peter had a revelation of: Matthew 16:13-19), but we have His Spirit to lead us this way. Faith is believing in the unseen (Heb. 11:1), or being led by the Spirit of God (as we cannot see Him as we see others before us). We see Him in different ways, with our spiritual eyes, that He gives to us as we are led by Him; He reveals Himself through various ways. By doing so, you will have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:10-16). He will give you a new heart and a new spirit, not one led of this world by the carnal nature, but by His nature, in Christ (Ezek. 36:25-28). Your thoughts will now be established in Him, His way of seeing and thinking, through righteousness (Isa. 11:1-10; Isa. 55:8-13).

    There are many other Scriptures that can bring you deeper into understanding of this: 1 Sam. 15:22 - obedience more important than sacrifice because through obedience, you automatically will produce sacrificial fruit or offerings that are pleasing to God, Isa. 53; Heb. 11 is a whole chapter on faith and works matching up and the result of their obedience unto God. Also: James 2

    So awesome the Lord's really pushing you to seek deeper on this Scripture, as only He has caused you to meditate on this and love it for it speaks life to you...how to live it (Prov. 3:5-6 is another one that goes along with this).

    I could also recommend a great book to study through along with the Scriptures, as the Holy Spirit leads you which brings deeper understanding to where the Lord is taking you. It's called, "The School of Obedience," by Andrew Murray.

    j_sp
    Thank you so much! The cross references you provided are so incredibly helpful. Isn't it amazing how God's word continually re-enforces itself?! Thanks!

    God Bless!
    Audrey Nicole

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Branson, MO
    Posts
    1,339
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes

    Your Thoughts established....

    Your thoughts established would denote something sound, and concrete. Not having a mind that is confused. A mind on track.

    committing one's Works to the Lord, or putting God first in everything is a sure way to establish a sound mind, and on track for right things.


    Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

    This Scripture is really about our faith matching up with our works...what we do is matched up to what the Lord has shown us
    Awesome... do not violate the Light you have, but walk in it. It is completely Possible to mess things up, do things wrong, but still be in right standing with God if you with your heart walk in the things that have been revealed to you.. We are all at different places of understanding. Don't come against what you know to be true.

    Sound Doctrine:

    While our belief will change as understanding grows...committing your works unto the Lord, it is a promise that you will get truth and sound doctrine. That means God places people, and situations in your path to shed light on things you don't fully understand...

    by committing your works unto Him...

    Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

    Those that even go to church but follow after their own Lust... (Things they want in life or to do, their way, The cares of other things chocking the Word.) will fall into confusion and will not understand the truth in the Word... No new light is given to them..

    2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts (Their own things, God not being first.) shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

    One that has a heart for God, and commits their Works unto him can be assured of further light, and growth in the Word, understanding greater things, and walking in greater grace, favor, and faith.

    Jesus Is Lord.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,520
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Personally i take it as simply giving your plans to Lord for Him to guide you and give wisdom to proceed with them. instead of planning them out your self.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    23
    Posts
    313
    Gender
    Female
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by jari View Post
    Personally i take it as simply giving your plans to Lord for Him to guide you and give wisdom to proceed with them. instead of planning them out your self.
    Yes, yes... that is what I had originally thought. I do think it is probably as simple as this... but like most things in the Bible... it probably also has a lot of layers.

    I guess I'm just wondering because as a young college student a lot of things are happening in my life, and as a relatively new believer, I want to make sure God is in every aspect of those happenings, because I want to succeed for Him!



    SO, practically, how do we apply this command?
    Audrey Nicole

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,520
    Gender
    Male
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by AudreyNicole View Post
    Yes, yes... that is what I had originally thought. I do think it is probably as simple as this... but like most things in the Bible... it probably also has a lot of layers.

    I guess I'm just wondering because as a young college student a lot of things are happening in my life, and as a relatively new believer, I want to make sure God is in every aspect of those happenings, because I want to succeed for Him!



    SO, practically, how do we apply this command?
    I think to switch your mind from the works/plans to Lord should do it. Because God wants us to have him first.

    Luk 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.



    I see it as a child telling his father what he has planned and he wants to hear from his father what his thoughts are about it.

    And when we return to it, we have our thoughts "Established" thanks to God.

    I hope that makes sense In short its faith that going before Lord with ur Life and its plans and submitting to God's Will for your life, will give you the right kinda of mind to proceed with life properly.
    Last edited by jari; 07-06-11 at 12:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    23
    Posts
    313
    Gender
    Female
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by jari View Post
    I see it as a child telling his father what he has planned and he wants to hear from his father what his thoughts are about it.

    And when we return to it, we have our thoughts "Established" thanks to God.
    Haha, this is the same way I think about it :) God is the dad and I am the kid...

    :angel:
    Audrey Nicole

Topic Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Proverbs 1: 20-33
    By MatthewFive in forum Seeking Jesus?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-12, 10:30 PM
  2. Proverbs
    By Chad in forum Bible Study
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-09, 11:24 PM
  3. Proverbs
    By Chad in forum Bible Study
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-09, 09:48 PM
  4. Proverbs 25:27 Why Am I doing What I Do?
    By yort in forum Devotionals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-09, 01:37 PM

Participants: 3

About us

Welcome to Talk Jesus Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You will need to register before you can post. Our Purpose: spread the Good News to the ends of the Earth [Mark 16:15]. We're also here to edify the church [Ephesians 4:11-12]. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. We love you and glad you are here!

 

ask & you shall receive...

Please feel comfortable and ask your questions freely in the appropriate forum. As a community, we will help you find the answers about Jesus / GOD, Bible, general life questions and so forth. We're here to support you and each other.

 

faq forum etiquette surprise me!

 

the evidence topical studies
let's socialize
our facebook friends